Friday, December 11, 2015

The Amazing Book is Not on Fire by Dan Howell and Phil Lester

Publication Date:  October 8, 2015  
Publisher:  Ebury Press
Pages:  224
Series:  Stand Alone
Genre:  Nonfiction 
Synopsis:  Hello reader,

In this book is a world. A world created by two awkward guys who share their lives on the internet!

We are Dan and Phil and we invite you on a journey inside our minds! From the stories of our actual births, to exploring Phil's teenage diary and all the reasons why Dan's a fail.

Learn how to draw the perfect cat whiskers, get advice on what to do in an awkward situation and discover which of our dining chairs represents you emotionally. With everything from what we text each other, to the time we met One Direction and what really happened in Vegas...

Review:  This review is a little different than any other I have done before.  In case you didn't know, Dan and Phil are YouTube sensations, known as danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil online.  



Now, I don't usually buy into the recent surge of YouTuber's getting handed book deals, but The Amazing Book is Not on Fire, AKA TABINOF, is hilarious and essentially just a physical form of the internet world Dan and Phil have created.



TABINOF is a delightful waste of time--and I do mean that in a good way.  It is stuffed full of hilarious and awkward stories and memories, not to mention the gorgeous aesthetic--and I do mean gorgeous.  Stunning photography and silly collages, bonus content, plus a quiz to help you find out which of Dan and Phil's dining chairs you are (I'm grey, in case you wanted to know).

It is a behind the scenes take on Dan and Phil's lives and careers, often referencing videos and building off of the assumption that you already know who they are.  This is certainly a book for fans of their YouTube channels.  I couldn't imagine a random person picking up this book in the store without preexisting knowledge.  



That is not a negative thing, since TABINOF was written and marketed for Dan and Phil's viewers.  It is pretty much a time capsule of reality at this stage in their and the viewers (myself included) lives.  

The amount of effort that went into creating this creative explosion of a book is plain to see.  Every last detail is laid out in careful chaos, and can I mention the aesthetic again?  The only minute thing that bothered me, and me personally, is the lack of formal grammar/punctuation.  I understand it is aimed to be more colloquial, but I couldn't help but cringe at every fallen off comma.  



I lied, since I actually do have one other complaint.  I was expecting a more down to earth, realistic version of their videos.  Less of the image they built up and more of the real people in front of the cameras.  But what did I expect from two guys who draw cat whiskers on their faces and once worse masks of Justin Bieber and the Queen in the same video?

Again, I would like to stress that this book is created with the community of the "Phandom" in mind, to include them (and me) in the the craziness that is their minds.  All of its quirks and jumbles of hilariousness are what define Dan and Phil and all of the viewers.



14 comments:

  1. I don't like the recent trends of youtubers writing a book. Even though essentially it's a memoar (except for Girl Online by Zoe Sugg) I just don't believe in their writing skills that much... But I am really curious with this book (since my friend is in the phandom community, and she tells me all about dan and phil) and Binge by Tyler Oakley. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this book!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read a Youtuber's book before (as I am skeptic of them), but I figured I would give this a shot. The thing about it is that it is NOT a typical book--far from it, really. It actually has very little writing and is mostly fun jokes and images, including a chart of their hairstyles throughout the years. XD Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Such a cute review, Erin :) I've been seeing a ton of YouTubers having their biographies published nowadays. I honestly don't watch YouTubers because I get easily distracted when I watch their videos. Like, sometimes I open a new tab while their talking and I end up forgetting that I was watching their video in the first place. Haha :P

    Anyway, this is really interesting, even if I don't watch them. I'm glad to hear that you really liked it. I might take a peep at this real soon :) I totally laughed when you said that this was a "delightful waste of time." HAHA nice one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jillian! I am not usually a fan of YouTubers publishing books but this one is really fun and entertaining. And I am so bad at being distracted by YouTube! That and Netflix are the reasons I procrastinate so much. I'm glad you liked my review and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I am not going to like I don't know any You Tubers. Womp Womp. Still this looks like a lot fun. Glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YouTubers can be cool, although I am skeptical of them writing books! Thanks for commenting! XD

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you watch Dan & Phil. *fist pumps you* YESSSSSSS! I love Dan & Phil SO much! *whisper* I haven't read TABINOF yet!v Oops? Everytime I go to Target or Walmart- I run (somewhat) to book selection, find TABINOF and sit there and I read has much has I can. I WANT A COPY FOR MYSELF. My library doesn't have a copy and I'm broke. *sobs* ANYWAY. Thank you for the amazing review, Erin! I also LOVED the pictures! ^-^ Have a philtastic day!

    anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe YOU watch Dan and Phil. XD They're so awkward and punny. And I hadn't planned on reading TABINOF any time soon, but I saw it at the library and though, why not? It is super fun and I am sure you will like it. I am glad you enjoyed the photos! Thanks for commenting, Anna!

      Delete
  5. Aw, Dan and Phil! I actually didn't know about their Youtube channels until I listened to the Sunday evening music request show they used to present on Radio One and that was aaaaaggeeess ago! They are so hilarious. The aesthetic of this book does look so cool and I'm glad you enjoyed it! They did some sort of tour to promote TABINOF and my friend got to meet them, I think...
    Brilliant review Erin, I love the photos! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so funny and sarcastic! And clearly they know how to create something awesome because this book really has such a nice FEEL to it. And they did do a book tour! I think they may still be on it, actually. I'm glad you liked the photos, Rebekah and thank you for commenting! XD

      Delete
  6. Aww no realistic BTS? :( I've been dying to read this book ever since the trailer came out though (it was adorable. The trailer, I mean.)

    As a slight member of the Phandom, I think I'll come to enjoy reading this book as well. Let's just hope I can find it in a bookstore sometime soon. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it pretty much sticks to the themes already presented on YouTube. And that trailer was just so cool. I was super confused as to what it was when I first watched it, though. And I hope you enjoy this one! XD Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. I'm a huge phangirl, so I loved this book! I agree, it was a bit stupid at times, but I enjoyed it so much! I don't care that they're "not proper authors" in the eyes of some, and that they "don't deserve a book deal" because they've obviously worked to hard for this, and you can tell! It was really funny, and cheered my up loads when I read it - I especially loved what really happened in Vegas XD

    I definitely agree with you on the fact that it was made for the fans! I can't imagine someone who hasn't watched their videos before picking this up... I think it's fair to say they wouldn't enjoy it as much as I did!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book, Erin! <3
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is such a fun and quirky book and I laughed a lot while reading it! And while I don't support most YouTuber's getting handed book deals, this is clearly a book made for the fans and not a cash grab. They put a lot of effort, and that whole Vegas section was HILARIOUS! Also, that is so cool that you watch them, too! Thanks for commenting! XD

      Delete