Friday, December 4, 2015

Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge

Publication Date:  May 5, 2015  
Publisher:  Balzer + Bray
Pages:  448
Series:  Stand Alone
Genre:  Fantasy
Synopsis:  When Rachelle was fifteen she was good—apprenticed to her aunt and in training to protect her village from dark magic. But she was also reckless— straying from the forest path in search of a way to free her world from the threat of eternal darkness. After an illicit meeting goes dreadfully wrong, Rachelle is forced to make a terrible choice that binds her to the very evil she had hoped to defeat.

Three years later, Rachelle has given her life to serving the realm, fighting deadly creatures in an effort to atone. When the king orders her to guard his son Armand—the man she hates most—Rachelle forces Armand to help her find the legendary sword that might save their world. As the two become unexpected allies, they uncover far-reaching conspiracies, hidden magic, and a love that may be their undoing. In a palace built on unbelievable wealth and dangerous secrets, can Rachelle discover the truth and stop the fall of endless night?


Review:  This fairy tale retelling is as dark and twisted as they come.  A boy with missing hands, a doomed world, and a child who murdered out of desperation and fear are only glimpses of the horrors that lie folded between these pages.

Rosamund Hodge weaves a web of lies and deceit with so many false truths and twists that it makes your head spin.  You notice the hints, can pick them out from the nonsense, but it is impossible to figure out how they will matter.  Just when you think you've figured it out, something happens that alters the entire plot of the book.

In all your life, your only choice is the path of needles or the path of pins.

However, this may also be the downfall of Crimson Bound:  there is an endless amount of ifs.  If she had only noticed this, that never would have occurred.  If he had been honest from the start, that could have been prevented.  It is an overwhelming amount of ifs, which can be beyond frustrating.

The world, if lacking a bit of development, is both terrifying and beautiful in equal measure.  It is a savage place with monsters and demons and the Devourer--the Big Bad of the book.  It is richly imagined and utterly fantastical.

She had won them the sun and the moon, but she had become a monster.

The writing style is addicting and all-encompassing, complex yet not necessarily sophisticated.  When you manage to put the book down for a moment, you leave your head and heart behind in the story. 

Crimson Bound contains the same intensity of Cruel Beauty, Rosamund Hodge's debut novel.  In fact, I spotted multiple similarities.  Perhaps too many.

In the darkest shadows of the wood stands a house. The walls are caulked with blood. The roof is thatched with bones. Within that bloody house lived Old Mother Hunger, the first and eldest of all forestborn. 

Rachelle is brutal.  She is ashamed and doesn't want to die, as much as she believes herself damned.  She is willing to go to the farthest corners of the world and abandon all her humanity to save those who fear and despise her.  She is not kind, nor is she gentle, but she is resolute in her actions and everything I love in a character.

Armand, the handless bastard son of the frail King has been proclaimed a saint.  He is a wholeheartedly good character, one whom I can hold nothing against.  While his and Rachelle's romance had a little too much love and too little of the falling, it was true and took a backseat to the rest of the plot.

This story begins with endless night and infinite forest; with two orphaned children, and two swords made of broken bone.  It has not ended yet.

Eric, the final point in the love triangle (which is painless, I promise you that), is an arrogant child you likes playing games.  I never did truly like him.  And for good reason, in the end.

There is friendship, sacrifice, and guilt--nothing about this book is easy, even if some of the events are a bit convenient.  There is the Big Bad Wolf and an old legend no one believes.  All I can say is:  well done.

12 comments:

  1. I read Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge and I thought it was quite good. I have this book on my tbr with Rosamund's new book, Bright Smoke, Cold Fire. Fabulous review Erin! Have an awesome day. ^-^

    anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide which I like better, Cruel Beauty or this one... But I had no idea she had another novel!!! Thanks so much for commenting, Anna!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Cruel Beauty but I am late to the game of retellings and want to read them all. So this as well as the other will be going on my TBR. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retellings are so great! Especially Cruel Beauty and this one. Thanks so much commenting, Grace! :D

      Delete
  3. Oooh this sounds so intriguing! You wrote an amazing review Erin, I loved the way you phrased some of your sentences. (particularly the two that come just after the quote about suns and moons ;-) ) All the 'what ifs' definitely do sound frustrating - especially if they could have been easily avoided! The name Armand reminds me of the word 'almond' which isn't necessarily a bad thing :-) Loved this review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebekah! It is a very engrossing novel and while it can be frustrating and dramatic, I enjoyed it immensely! Rosamund Hodge has some great ideas and it definitely had that fairy tale feel to it. And the name Armand remind me of "arm...hand" which is ironic since he literally does not have hands. Anyway, thanks for commenting! ♥

      Delete
  4. I reeeally want to read this bone because I utterly adored Cruel Beauty. But *gulps* sad that they're very very similar. I always like to see NEW and different things from an author. *sighs* And I've heard it's quite slow too? But stiiiiill. I need to read it. NEEEED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think this one may be BETTER than Cruel Beauty! They ARE similar but still unique, if that makes any sense at all??? And I wouldn't say it is slow all the time. Really, the pacing is a bit helter skelter but totally worth it. Thanks for commenting, Cait! ♥

      Delete
  5. I was super-excited for this novel but it ended up as a bit of a disappointment - for me it just didn't live up to Cruel Beauty. I didn't think the retelling part of the story was well-done, even though I truly liked the world Hodge created. I think the real deal-breaker for me was that I was not able to relate to Rachel, at all. Anyways, I'm still excited to see future works of the author, and love Cruel Beauty just the same.
    Lovely review. :)
    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the passion of Cruel Beauty but I liked the overall themes of this one slightly better. But both are quite good. And what I have learned to expect from Hodge is a VERY loose retelling, and it does help I hadn't read one of the tales it was based on. I'm sorry it was a bit of a disappointment to you, though! That is always frustrating. Thanks for commenting, Veronika! ♥

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this book (and Cruel Beauty) so I'm so glad that you've read this one! I agree with pretty much everything you've said in this review, specifically about the romance. It definitely did feel like they fell for each other far too quickly. Great review, Erin! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what Rosamund Hodge does next! She is truly talented at fary tale retellings. Thanks so much for commenting, Emma! ✾

      Delete