Friday, May 15, 2020

Why I Won't Be Reading the New Sarah J. Maas Book


For years, Sarah J. Maas has been a staple author in the online book world. She rose to popularity through her Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses series. Due to their addictive and entertaining nature, I managed to read all of these. However, I agree firmly with the camp of people who generally dislike SJM books. I don't think they are horrible but they are certainly not the best. I guess I just don't understand the hype. Therefore, I have decided to boycott her new publication, House of Earth and Blood. (P.S.: if you love SJM, that is great! She is just not my cup of tea).
So why do I not like her books, despite having read nearly all of them? Well, let me provide you with a list. 

1. MAJOR Plotting Issues

I don't even know where to begin here. Both of her series have some serious plotting issues. Let's start with Throne of Glass. The first three books feel like they are from a completely different series than the last four. In my opinion, it has always felt like SJM started off the books with one idea, then changed her mind halfway through and decided to awkwardly alter the plot to fit her new ideas. There is a clear split halfway through the series. Personally, I enjoyed the second "half" better than the first, but that does not change the fact that the transition is sudden and doesn't flow well.

Oh, and SJM also uses convenient excuses to "solve" plot holes. ACOTAR Spoilers: remember when SJM decided to throw in the fact that Mor is gay (without any mention of it further or any respect to the LGBTQ community) to "explain" why she had been stringing another man along for years? I'm sorry, but someones sexuality is not a weak plot device.

2. Too Much Focus on Cringey Romance

This may be a personal opinion, but I am not a romance fan. I don't mind it in a book but I despise when it overtakes the main plot. If your book is fantasy, your main focus should be that plot, not the side romances between the characters. SJM regularly allows the romantic relationships take precedence over the actual story. Oh, and how cringe-worthy and unhealthy are those relationships? Plus the sex scenes are just...awkward. Growling is not attractive. Neither is using the word "mate" in every other sentence.



3. Fake Diversity 

SJM strikes me as the kind of author that adds in "token" diverse characters just to claim that her books are diverse. But in reality, they are not. The main casts are always white, attractive, straight people. I read a review once where they described her novels as "aggressively heterosexual" and I have to agree. All the diverse characters are thrown in as side characters that have little to no meaningful impact on the story. 

4. Misogyny 

I know Feyre and Aelin are self-proclaimed feminists, but nothing about either series reads as feminist to me. In fact, they lean traditionally masculine and patriarchal. The romantic relationships feature some very controlling, stereotypically male counterparts. They are also always described as Males or Females (why???) and are extremely aggressive/overprotective (because they're iN lOVe with their MaTEs). As if that gives them an excuse to order their love interests around? It always rubbed me the wrong way. Why go to such great lengths to create a fantasy world where traditional and harmful misogyny still exists? 

5. Plagiarism 

Okay, "plagiarism" is a rather strong term to use here. What I am trying to get at is SJM's blatant copying of other novels' plots. It is one thing to be inspired by another series, but to essentially take complete names/plots/etc. from another author's work is wrong. The two series I have noticed SJM uses is The Prydain Chronicles and The Lord of the Rings, both of which she openly loves. It is disrespectful to basically rip off your favorite books. I won't go into specifics here because that would take me weeks, but you can find discussions where people point out the MANY exact parallels between SJM books and old fantasy series. Even between her two complete book series, there are many similarities in characters, worlds, and plot. Frankly, I just don't think SJM is too original. 

Okay, okay, I am done being negative. All in all, I do enjoy SJM books most of the time. I find them to be entertaining and easy to consume. But I am frankly done with ignoring the glaring flaws in her books and have decided to simply stop reading them. Yes, her writing is addictive, but that does not mean it is good. To me, her novels read like really well-written fan fiction. Fun to read with some issues and often problematic in nature. 



Do you like Sarah J. Maas? Will you be reading her new book?

15 comments:

  1. I completely relate to this post, Erin! I used to read a lot of SJM back in 2015-2016. But soon I became so frustrated with her writing that I couldn't continue. Most of this frustration came from the A Court of Mist and Fury series. I so agree with you that her writing can be super cringey sometimes, especially when it comes to the sex scenes! I always just feel uncomfortable when reading them.

    I also agree with you though that her books are easy to get through and entertaining. Kind of like The Twilight series in that sense. Either way, good for you for standing your ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly it--her writing is FRUSTRATING! I just can't handle any more of it. Don't even get me on those sex scenes... talk about awkward. I thought reading those scenes was supposed to be hot? Or something other than embarrassing? But you are so right that they give a similar experience as reading Twilight!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Erin! I've only read Throne of Glass and for years have been wanting to continue the series, but I know the series change direction halfway and I always hate that. So why would I invest my time to read 7 books if there's a huge chance I will hate it?? I'm still on the fence about continuing, but one thing I know I hate her type of romance: overpowering the plot, lots of growling, earth-shaking, thunder striking mating, and overprotective controlling love interest. I just can't stand them!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasya! I would say that if you want to continue reading the Throne of Glass series, it is equal parts fun and frustrating. I don't really recommend it because of the issues I have laid out here, but it is entertaining, that's for sure. But don't even get me started on how cringeworthy and awkward those sex scenes are! What is with the growling/snarling overprotective "males?"

      Delete
  3. This is an interesting discussion Erin. I have only ever read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight, and I have a copy of ACOTAR in my shelf which I have yet to read. I quite agree about the romance because it does seem to have a bigger influence on the plot than the actual fantasy. Throne of Glass was my favorite when I read it around 2014, but I agree that the romance and the love triangle trope are quite overused and common in many books, it gets quite tiring to read it over and over.

    I haven't read her books enough to actually formulate a judgment because I only read 2 of her books, which I loved as a teen. I totally understand your frustration, and I'm glad you shared this because it opened me more to some literary issues. I'm planning to still read my ACOTAR copy, I'm quite curious myself as to how it really is. Thank you for sharing an interesting discussion post!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the romance is a huge aspect. It is almost like, to Sarah J. Maas, the most important thing about her characters is the relationship(s) they are in. I definitely prefer more of a focus on the plot and the world. I am tired of the same old tropes, too. SJM uses them a lot. However, if you did want to consider continuing the series, I can say it is a fun (if often annoying) read.

      Delete
  4. Great discussion! I've only read her Court of Thorns and Roses and while they were fun, I don't exactly remember anything from the books...the romance definitely took over and I definitely agree with you about the misogyny and lack of diversity. I was on the fence about House of Earth and Blood but there are so many other adult fantasy novels I want to read that it's just not a priority right now. Loved hearing your thoughts!!

    Riv @ Small Stained Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fun is the perfect way to describe the books. I enjoy them but there is only so much misogyny and lack of diversity I can take! If you do end up reading House of Earth and Blood, let me know how it is!

      Delete
  5. I’ve felt this way about SJM for a while, and can hardly stand all the praise she gets as an author of “adult” fantasy. I feel that what happened with twilight will happen to ACOTAR and some of SJM’s other books. People will realize they were sucked into a book that is pretty problematic and just overall bland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite frankly I I'm not so sure "plagiarism" is too strong a word at all, especially when it comes to overwhelming amount of content Maas took from the Black Jewels series (Anne Bishop) for ACOTAR. So many characters, concepts, even straight quotes and names are blatant copies. What makes it so infuriating is that she gets so much praise and credit for these things when they're actually the product of Bishop's creativity and writing prowess.

    I am in the process of rereading ACOTAR and compiling a detailed record of all the aspects that Maas stole from Black Jewels. So far, at the very beginning of book three my list is over 4 pages long, single-spaced. I include page number when and where I can, but it is slow going for a number a reasons, mainly due to the fact that I am using physical copies and cannot easily search an eBook. I am also finding it very difficult to suffer through her writing, which I find to be very amateurish and YA. I also do not understand the hype around "her" work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do share this record when you're done with it... Because otherwise I'm gonna be tempted to do it too

      Delete
  7. Hi, can you please add image descriptions to the images in your posts? it would really help people with visual impairments and screen reader users.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should take a look about the comparasions people do with Acotar vs the The Black Jewels Trilogy, SJM pratically stoled everything from this books and put on ACOTAR, I'm not even joking, the similarities are scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a year late to comment on this. But, with the Hulu show announced, can't help but wonder if Anne Bishop will be coming after SJM for IP Infringement. SJM straight up stole Bishop's culture, characters (protags and villains) -- all the ideas AND the execution was stolen and the only thing she slightly changed were names. That's pretty blatant copyright infringement. It's insane to me -- without Black Jewels (or GRRM) there would be NO TOG, and there would be NO ACOTAR (well, she used the ballad of Tam Lin for book one, so there would be nothing past ACOTAR1). And without The Fever by Karen Marie Moning, SJM wouldn't have Crescent City. One of the MOST blatantly uncreative author's I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

      Delete
  9. It's "The Chronicles of Prydain" not "The Prydain Chronicles"

    ReplyDelete