Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Popular Books I'll Never Read


I'll admit, there are just some super popular books that everyone reads that I have zero interest in, for whatever reason. It can make me feel a little out of the loop sometimes while everyone discusses said books with excitement and ardor, and once and a while, I do cave and read them (The Fault in Our Stars, namely). But there are just some popular books I know I will never even open. 


To All the Boys I've Loved Before
by Jenny Han

Actually, I did borrow this book from the library once. I read approximately 10 pages before I knew with astounding clarity that I was not going to enjoy this. I'm generally not a fan of contemporary, but everyone loves this series, so I tried to give it a shot. But the writing, the synopsis... none of it appealed to me and it probably never will.


Outlander 
by Diana Gabaldon

From what I've heard about the romance and the way sexual assault is handled, I have no intentions to ever read this Scottish, historical fiction novel. I was vaguely interested in this novel before I actually researched it. And the reviews suggest it's either a book you love or hate, and I have a feeling I would end up on the hate side. 


The Sun is Also a Star
by Nicola Yoon

Despite the excessive hype surrounding this novel, I have no inclination to ever pick it up. This is because I was severely disappointed in another of Nicola Yoon's books, Everything Everything. Both of these books are dearly loved, but I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment again. Although, the cover is admittedly gorgeous. 


All the Bright Places
by Jennifer Niven

My determination to never read this book is due to the misrepresentation of mental illness that I have seen so many trusted bloggers and reviewers discuss. Lack of proper representation concerning mental illnesses is something that I cannot stand and is so disrespectful. Therefore, this is a novel I refuse to read.





Girl Online
by Zoe Sugg

I like Zoe, or Zoella, on YouTube. But her book, another contemporary that is beloved by so many readers, fails to interest me, especially due to the ghost writing scandal surrounding this book. In my opinion, as far as I understand the issue, no credit was given to the ghost writer who at least helped to create this novel. 










Are there any popular books you know you'll never read?


14 comments:

  1. Great post, even though I did really enjoy To All the Boys I've Loved Before. :') The series kind of loses its way after the first book anyway, so I won't say you're missing too much. I was super disappointed (and disturbed tbh) by Everything Everything, but I've heard TSIAAS is much better, so looking forward to giving that a go. :) But yes, Girl Online is one I've sworn off, ha.

    ~ Aimal @ Bookshelves & Paperbacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know so many people who loved TATBILB that I wanted so badly to like it. I'm glad to see I'm not missing too much, at least. Everything Everything was a huge let down for me and Girl Online is also a definite no from me. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. To All the Boys is one of my favourite contemporary series of all time so I'm really sorry you couldn't get into it :((( I guess I'm just really into that sort of light and fluffiness that those books have. Girl Online was literally the worst book I have ever read. Such a waste of time and money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like if I enjoyed books like TATBILB I would have enjoyed it. And Girl Online seems like kind of a joke to me, really. Thanks for commenting, Emily!

      Delete
  3. I love TATBILB, Outlander and also All the Bright Places! I know some people said that mental illness is misrepresented in AtBP, but I personally think it's different for every person. Is it romanticized? Yes. But I also see myself in Finch and that's one of the reason I love the book a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I guess the quality of the representation in All the Bright Places really depends on the person. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for commenting, Tasya!

      Delete
  4. I definitely have liked some on your list. I do have some really popular books I know I won't read whether it is because of the genre, length of the book or subject matter so I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think genre is the biggest thing for me, since I don't tend to read many contemporaries. Thanks for commenting, Grace!

      Delete
  5. I read The Sun is Also a Star and did not like it, felt like a black sheep. I might still read Outlander if I have the time of it, but I can see why you would want to stay away from it not sure how I'll feel about it myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a black sheep for a lot of popular books, it seems. And I considered Outlander for a while, but after hearing about the assault stuff, I decided not to. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Woah I'm so surprised people said All The Bright Places wasn't good mental illness rep!? I thought it was really really well done.🙈Particularly the way depression was shown. Buuuut just my opinion! 😇😇 Fair enough that you've decided not to read these! There's too many books in the world, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've actually heard that A LOT. So I guess I'm just tentative about it, since that's something that really bothers me. Thanks for commenting, Cait!

      Delete
  7. Apart from All The Bright Places, I haven't read any of these either. Jenny Han is an author I was asking a group of readers about the other day actually. I've seen so many bloggers that have enjoyed her books and I usually love mixing up my reads with light and fluffy contemporaries but they just don't seem to interest me. I think I'm just tired of reading books that are located in the US and navigate towards Aussie reads. I know so many have also enjoyed Outlander but it sounds like misogynistic rubbish. Not to mention they look like house bricks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny Han has just never really piqued my interest enough to read them. And I kind of agree, a lot of the US based contemporaries I find similar and redundant. As for Outlander, I don't even want to deal with that. Who needs house bricks??? Thanks for commenting!

      Delete