Friday, May 1, 2020

10 Movies to Watch in Quarantine


Like everyone else stuck in quarantine right now, I have watched a lot of movies and television shows. In fact, a few weeks ago I compiled a list of Netflix shows to binge during isolation. Now, I have created a list of movies! However, these are not all available on Netflix (but I wish they were). I have not had this kind of free time since summers in middle school. The experience is both relaxing and absolutely boring. So if you have run out of things to watch and need some fun movie recommendations, look no further! I also want to say a BIG thank you to all the essential workers right now, including all medical personnel. 

kiki's delivery service


Listen, I adore all Ghibli films. But Kiki's Delivery Service will always be my favorite. Admittedly, one of the reasons I love this movie so much is because of nostalgia. But that is not the only reason. Kiki is quaint, sweet, and adventurous. It will inspire a longing for a poetic, gentle lifestyle where you work in a bakery and live with your talking cat. Kiki, the main character, flies off to a new city to practice her witch skills. While she's there, she begins a delivery service. If I have to label it, this is a feel-good movie. The animation is divine and holds that organic quality that only lovingly hand-drawn films can. Honestly, I recommend all Ghibli movies whether you are stuck in quarantine or not. Some other fun options are: Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and My Neighbor Totoro


crimson peak


I have been itching to rewatch this film lately. A few years ago, I watched this for the first time expecting an intense, historically-set horror movie. Let me tell you, I was in for a surprise. Crimson Peak is not a horror film, despite how it was originally marketed. This is a gorgeous Gothic romance that happens to have ghosts in it. Ghosts do not always equate to horror. Don't worry if you are a scaredy-cat that can barely even watch Scooby Doo without crying--Crimson Peak is no horror movie. Not only do I love the plot because it is filled with tension and mystery, I love the filming style. Guillermo del Toro directed this film, which means that it is filled with practical effects and colorful lighting. Even the setting is grand and evokes feeling.


singing in the rain 


Here is another nostalgic favorite of mine. I grew up watching this movie thanks to my dad, who introduced it to me and to my brother. I am not usually one for musicals, but this one is amazing. Plus it stars a young Debbie Reynolds, aka Princess Leia's real-life mother. Singing in the Rain features a funny, heartwarming story with fantastic music. Since it was released in 1952, it has that "old movie" quality without being poor quality. The technicolor stands out beautifully, as well as the dancing. I am talking myself in to watching this again as I write. All in all, Singing in the Rain is a fantastic film that everyone should watch. 




doctor strange


Doctor Strange is the most criminally underrated Marvel movie. I get it, I love Iron Man and Captain America, too, but Stephen Strange is like no other. Formally a renowned surgeon, Dr. Strange discovers the world of mystic arts in his quest to heal his ruined hands. I enjoy Dr. Strange (both the comics and the movies) because he is a perfect blend of the science fiction type traditional superhero and a classic fantasy type wizard. Fantasy has been and always will be my favorite genre, so having a superhero that deals with magic and fantastical realms is perfect for me. Not to mention that Benedict Cumberbatch is the most flawless casting for Stephen Strange. 



jumanji: welcome to the jungle


I had wanted to see the Jumanji remake since the very first trailers were released. I really love the original film with Robin Williams from the nineties. This new version is absolutely flipping hilarious. The plot follows the same premise as the original with a modern twist--Jumanji is a video game rather than a board game. So when the game comes to life, a group of high schoolers are transported into the game. The casting is divine and there are some funny gags. My favorite one is that Jack Black's character had the soul of a basic teenage girl in him, so you get to watch Jack Black prancing around as a popular teenage girl. Iconic. I also rewatched the OG Jumanji after this one and recommend that one, too. 



heathers  


A good friend of mine introduced me to Heathers a few years back and I have watched it a million times since. Think of this movie like a sardonic, dark '80s version of Mean Girls. Listen, I love eighties movies in general, but this is one of my all-time favorites. The story follows a high schooler named Veronica who is part of the popular clique where all the other girls are named Heather. She is desperate to distance herself from this snobby, hurtful group. When she meets the new loner, JD, they have an instant connection. Together, they begin to plot their revenge. But JD's plans may be darker than Veronica ever imagined. This is not a light, feel-good film. Heathers is intense, sarcastic, and provocative. Plus, it stars Winona Ryder. 


brave


I have always been a huge Disney fan. Princess movies were my thing as a child. In my humble opinion, Brave is one of the most underrated Disney films. I have adored this movie since it first came out in 2012. The plot follows stubborn, independent Princess Merida in Scotland. She is determined to carve her own fate and to defy her mother's expectations of marriage. But her plans go awry when a witch gives her a spell that turns out to be a curse. This is a tale of bravery, family, and mending bonds. No romance interrupts this beautiful story that has everything you want in a Disney movie: action, adventure, magic, and laughter. I love the focus on the relationship between Merida and her mother. This is one of the rare films that is not a musical, which only enhances the story. 


dead poets society 


Oh, look, another Robin Williams classic. It also happens to be another eighties era film. Dead Poets Society will make you cry. Robin Williams plays an English teacher named John Keating. He is a recent hire at a prestigious and strict private boys' school. However, he finds himself in a bit of hot water due to his unusual teaching methods. But he inspires his young students to fall in love with poetry and the power of language. A group of them decide to form a secret poetry society so they can study their passion in private. But while these kids are wealthy and privileged, they carry the burden of their parents harsh expectations. This film will not only touch your heart, but will perfectly suite readers. Dead Poets Society is inspirational, cinematic masterpiece that will stick with you for years to come.


the wizard of oz


We all know the story of The Wizard of Oz. Both the movie and the book are classics. As a little girl, I wore red glittery shoes everywhere for years. I knew every step to the Tin Man's dance. This was the movie I latched onto, as all children do, and watched relentlessly on repeat. The Wizard of Oz is an oldie but a goodie. Everyone has seen it in the near-century since its release. But when is the last time you sat down and watched it? It is larger than life, a colorful rainbow of fantasy and folklore. There's singing, dancing, and an evil witch. It is happy and inspires joy with every scene. This film will always be a favorite of mine. And now that I'm thinking of it, I should really get another pair of red sparkly shoes...



star wars: the empire strikes back


Yes, I am indeed a Star Wars fan. Just when you thought I couldn't get any nerdier. I grew up watching the original trilogy. In fact, I can't recall a time in my life before I saw Star Wars (thanks, dad). This film will always be my all-time favorite from all of the sagas. Nothing is more epic than Luke confronting Darth Vader or Leia adventuring with the handsome rogue, Han Solo. If you try to tell me that this isn't the best Star Wars film...well, you're wrong. Sorry. But I love all the movies, even the bad ones. In fact, I am recommending this specific installment but any Star Wars content is perfect for right now. I just finished watching The Mandalorian and really enjoyed that, too. 




What have you been watching in quarantine?


12 comments:

  1. The only movie I’ve seen on this list is The Empire Strikes Back, but, I really want to get into more classic movies like Singin in the Rain! I have seen a few old movies, but nowhere near the amount my mom has watched and she absolutely loves them. I think it’s nice to look back on how movies were made back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singing in the Rain has been a lifelong favorite of mine. Old, classic movies are so fun and I love the aesthetic of them. I hope you watch it soon and LOVE it!

      Delete
  2. I struggle so much to watch movies on my own for some reason, so I am definitely going to have to try and convince my family to watch some of these with me! (Although, having read the whole list, I have actually seen a lot of these!)
    Kiki’s Delivery Service in particular has been on my radar for the longest time, so I’m excited to see that you love it.
    I am so surprised to hear that Crimson Peak is not a horror, lol. I’m actually interested in watching it now.
    I love the Jumanji remake too! It was a lot better than I was expecting it to be and was so funny. The original movie seriously freaked me out when I first watched it - why didn’t they destroy the game properly!?
    Great post!!
    - Sabrina @ Wordy and Whimsical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With these short, instant video clips on YouTube, Instagram, etc. nowadays it is so hard to sit down and watch a 2 hour movie. My attention span has certainly shortened lol. But Kiki's Delivery Service is definitely worth that time dedication. It is so quaint and merry. I love watching it because it just makes me feel happy. Also, about Crimson Peak--it is definitely NOT horror but it may still scare you a little! It does have a lot of tension and thriller aspects. But yes, I wasn't expecting to love the Jumanji remake either. I would actually love to rewatch it. But YES! Stop hiding the game and just destroy it!!!!

      Delete
  3. I love Dead Poets Society! It made me BAWL when I was younger - I am due to rewatch it!
    I haven't watched too many Studio Ghibli films recently (also due for a rewatch!) - I know some of them are on Netflix now, so I have to watch them soon!
    It's great that you're passing through quarantine with some excellent movies <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is SO sad but so heartfelt. I love that movie and its message so so so much. I should honestly rewatch it soon myself. I recommend ALL Ghibli films honestly. And I am so jealous they are on Netflix for you! Where I live, they aren't.

      Delete
  4. You need to add THE BODYGUARD with Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston (just sayin’)! ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always want to watch Kiki's Delivery Service, it's the highest Ghibli movie on my to-watch list! I'm not sure why I haven't watch it yet now that it's on Netflix- maybe because I'm watching to many k-dramas now 😬 I love the Jumanji remake too, it's hilarious!!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is AMAZING! I think you will love it. Also, I am so jealous because the Ghibli films aren't on Netflix here in the USA.

      Delete
  6. ooh i haven’t read alot of these so these are awesome recs! Singing in the Rain is such a classic, and Jumanji is hilarious lol! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is my favorite classic film! Thanks :)

      Delete