Friday, July 12, 2019

Kingdom of Ash Spoiler Review (It's FINALLY Over)


I finally finished the Throne of Glass series. When the first book was released, it was cool to obsess over the series. Nowadays, it's more "cool" to hate it. I have always fallen awkwardly in the middle: I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it. I find Sarah J, Maas' books to be enjoyable and digestible but I can't help but notice the glaring flaws and issues with things like plot and representation. This book was no exception and I found it equally entertaining and frustrating. 

Warning: spoilers ahead

characters and relationships

First of all, there are entirely too many characters. For the life of me, I could not remember who these people were and why they were important to the story. To be fair, I did take two years to finally pick up Tower of Dawn and Kingdom of Ash. But that doesn't change the fact that the cast was too big. Someone on Goodreads counted and there were eleven POV's in this book. Eleven. No wonder the book is almost a thousand pages long. 

That being said, I did find the pacing to be sound. Ending a lot of chapters on cliffhangers definitely makes you push to keep reading and discover what happens next. But the multiple POV's and long page count can make some scenes repetitive and drawn out. Also, this entire series supposedly takes place in the span of one year. One year??? Are you serious? So you're telling me that an entire war takes place in under a year (and that isn't even considering all the other events that take place). That is so unrealistic that it actual makes me mad.


The most unrealistic thing was the fact that none of the main characters die. Not a single one. The two "major" deaths that take place are the Thirteen dying and then Gavriel sacrificing himself. While those scenes were gripping and somber, especially the Thirteen dying, those characters are just side characters. No one in the main group dies despite the high stakes and near-misses. Maas did the same thing in ACOWAR, which resulted in a slew of complaints that she apparently didn't listen to. God forbid one of her special snowflake characters in some semi-abusive relationship dies. 

Speaking of relationships, does Maas know how to write one that is healthy? Her obsession with "claiming," mates, and hyper-masculinity in relationships deserves an entire discussion of its own. What bothered me the most was the relationship between Aedion and Lysandra and the one between Lorcan and Elide. In both cases, one partner (Aedion and Elide) treat their supposed love interest in very harsh and almost emotionally-abusive ways for months. Both characters say things that are nearly unforgivable, but when their love interest is about to die, they immediately regret it and change their minds. As if it should take almost dying to see how you've treated your partner horribly. This behavior is easily forgiven and swept under the rug so that the pairs can live happily ever after. This isn't okay. Also, it is just statistically unlikely that all of these people are straight.


plot and writing

Nothing in this book really surprised me, but I was impressed with the level of tension Maas managed to maintain. Some of the scenes, like Aelin escaping from Maeve's clutches or Manon fighting the Matrons, are truly spectacular and possess the level of drama and fear needed to make an impression. Manon's story-line has always been my favorite, so seeing her finally unite her people and going toe-to-toe with the Ironteeth witches left me feeling intensely satisfied. The battle scenes are also portrayed very well and those were my favorites to read. 

But I found Aelin's arc to be anticlimactic. She only displays her powers in battle once and makes it to the battlefield only in time to have the final showdown. I was waiting this entire book for her and her team to show up at Orynth and help in this epic battle, but by the time they get there most of the fighting is done and Aelin has lost her magic. So when Erawan and Maeve are finally defeated, it wasn't as impressive as the series has been building it up to be. As much as a loved Aelin's emotional arc in this book (I finally liked her character), her ultimate sacrifice was a let down. 

When Aelin and Dorian went to form the lock with the wyrd-keys, I knew that neither of them would die. I did enjoy the surprise cameo of Dorian's father from the afterlife, but the part where Aelin decides to let Erawan stay to try and spare Elena's eternal soul was the worst decision I have ever seen a leader make. You would potentially sacrifice your entire world for the sake of someone who is already dead? Of course it backfires. Despite this and the easy deaths of the Big Bad's, I was satisfied with the conclusion. Watching the queen finally return and try to rebuild her country was so rewarding. But why is everyone in this series a queen/king/magic-wielder? Some people are just...normal, you know. 

similarities

There is a fine line between being inspired by something and ripping it off. It seems as if Maas doesn't even know this line exists, much less where it is. Listen, I began noticing the similarities to The Chronicles of Prydain and Lord of the Rings around the third book, as well as in her ACOTAR series. But for some reason the parallels have recently begun bothering me a lot more than before. I won't go through them all, but some of the plot elements and world building is far too similar to be a coincidence, especially considering how much Maas apparently loves both of those series. I mean, Morath=Mordor, anyone? 



some things I liked

*everything to do with Manon and the witches. Best part of the series, honestly.  
*Aelin's character growth and early story-line.
*Aelin's bad-ass wall of fire. We all love an awesome display of magic.
*Elide's panic-inducing race to save Lorcan on the battlefield.
*the battle scenes and descriptions are pretty epic.
*easy to read. I inhaled this book and had a lot of fun (mostly).
*Fenrys breaking the blood-oath to Maeve. 

some things I disliked

*mate, mate, MATE, mAte--we get it. Stop.
*Elide/Lorcan and Lysandra/Aedion relationships. It was too easy.
*too many characters/couples, most of which are not diverse.
*anti-climactic and predictable ending. 
*everyone gets married. Everyone.
*that ACOTAR reference. Just...no. I was cringing so hard in a series that already induces a lot of cringing. 
*Gavriel reunites with Aedion for like two seconds before dying. I was waiting the entire book for them to reunite and I got half a page. 


rating


Publication Date: October 23, 2018
Publisher: Bloomsbury YA
Pages: 984

Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: The final battle is here. 
Aelin Galathynius has vowed to save her people―but at a tremendous cost. Locked within an iron coffin by the Queen of the Fae, Aelin must draw upon her fiery will as she endures months of torture. The knowledge that yielding to Maeve will doom those she loves keeps her from breaking, but her resolve is unraveling with each passing day… With Aelin captured, friends and allies are scattered to different fates. Some bonds will grow even deeper, while others will be severed forever. As destinies weave together at last, all must fight if Erilea is to have any hope of salvation. Years in the making, Sarah J. Maas's New York Times bestselling Throne of Glass series draws to an explosive conclusion as Aelin fights to save herself―and the promise of a better world.




Are you on the love or hate side of this series?


7 comments:

  1. My goodness... almost a thousand pages and 11 povs?! I'm glad I decided to stop reading this book after book 2/3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It is absolutely insane. I do enjoy these, but I do not understand why it is SO popular.

      Delete
  2. OMG like all the characters in this books name started with the letter A and my my it had me so. confused. sometimes I thought my head was going to explode! 11 POV’s truly is too much at times. I admit this whole series was equal parts entertaining but also frustrating for me?? Lorcan and Elide were my favs (and I think my fav scene in this whole book was when she rode across the battle field to save him) however I did not care for Aelin and Rowan (ahh sorry I just didn’t love them?? even though I so badly wanted too??)

    and yesss I so agree about it all occurring over the course of a year!! Like WHAT?? HOW THOUGH?? it just doesn’t make sense to me? I totally loved ACOTAR better than TOG but I still enjoyed it! Amazing review :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so confusing! Aedion, Aelin, etc. I can't keep track of them all. I agree that this series is as entertaining as it is frustrating, which is why I still enjoyed it even with all of the problems. That Lorcan/Elide scene on the battlefield was SO cool. I was so tense reading that. But Aelin and Rowan are so bland in comparison. I have never really liked Aelin, even in the first book. ACOTAR is better written than TOG for sure.

      Delete
  3. I agree with pretty much everything! But I got to say even though it had 11 povs, a thousand pages and A LOT of war, I was constantly interested and engaged with the battle scenes (which is usually not my main interest). I think she created the tension from the war really well and I felt it a lot. The only POV I thought was truly not interesting was Nesryn hahaha even though I agree with pretty much everything I still love the series and want her next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, too! I always find SJM's books to be super addictive and I can't put them down. And like I said, I found the battle scenes to be super cool and I actually am VERY interested in reading scenes like that. But yeah, Nesryn's POV should have been totally cut out because it added nothing to the story. I'll probably end up picking up Crescent City because I enjoy reading her books even if they frustrate me to no end.

      Delete
  4. I love how honest your review is. A lot of your points I can relate too. Like halfway through the book when Aedion was thinking he was about to die when they were fighting the Valg I was like when is Aelin gonna show up and blast them with her fire? But it never happened….. like we got 930 pages in and that’s the first time Aelin and Aedion are back together. Don’t even get me started on Chaol and Yrene marrying after one month and everyone else who’ve barely been in relationships either married or engaged. I wish this book had more Aelin POVs and more flair on her part that’s why I’ve always loved Aelin.

    ReplyDelete