Friday, May 8, 2020

Skyward is Epic Science Fiction


Listen, I am a fantasy lover all the way. But being a lifelong nerd means I also adore science fiction. Brandon Sanderson, one of my favorite fantasy authors, released his first sci-fi YA book in 2018. I finally got around to reading it this year and (SPOILERS) I loved it. Skyward is epic, action-packed, and suspenseful. Plus, there are talking space ships, aliens, and a cute slug. If I haven't convinced you to read it yet, keep on reading.


why i loved it

First off, what is Skyward about? The story follows Spensa, a spitfire of a woman who is determined to become a pilot at all costs. However, she lives in the shadow of her father. When she was a child, her father fought as a pilot in the great Battle of Alta. However, he turned against his own and ran, abandoning his flight to an impossible battle. Other pilots were forced to shoot him down and he was branded as a coward. But Spensa knows her father would never have turned his back on his friends. She vows to follow in his footsteps and prove the truth about him. But who would accept the daughter of a coward as a pilot? 

As always, the world-building is second to none. Brandon Sanderson knows how to expertly craft a detailed, realistic world to immerse the reader in. What is left of humanity lives on an abandoned planet in caverns below the ground, only surfacing to fight the alien race that is determined to kill them. The culture and people are beautifully developed. You really get a firm grasp on the muddled history of the planet and its people as the plot developed. You understand them. Furthermore, the writing is captivating and descriptive without being too flowery. 



The story builds along with the tension. Between learning to fly, defying the odds, and rebuilding an ancient ship, Spensa is attempting to uncover the mystery surrounding her father's death. You will never experience boredom within the pages of this book. Even in the slower moments, there is a great sense of humor and character growth. Watching Spensa develop as a person and as a pilot is touching. She remains true to herself and her ideals while growing and changing into a better version of herself. Plus, her cantankerous teacher, Cobb, is there to offer some wisdom and gruff but loving comments. 

what i disliked

To keep it short, nothing. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this book and am dying to get my hands on the sequel. Skyward has a contained arc while building towards the next book. You will become as invested in the big picture as you do with the small side plots. I love the thematic discussion on what makes a hero versus what constitutes a coward. While it is a dichotomy that has been studied before, Brandon Sanderson offers intriguing introspection that fits flawlessly with the plot and characters. Oh, and M-Bot, the talking ship? I LOVE HIM. Who would have thought an AI could have so much personality? 




Publication Date: November 6th, 2018
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 510
Genre: Science fiction
Synopsis: Spensa's world has been under attack for decades.

Now pilots are the heroes of what's left of the human race, and becoming one has always been Spensa's dream. Since she was a little girl, she has imagined soaring skyward and proving her bravery. But her fate is intertwined with that of her father's—a pilot himself who was killed years ago when he abruptly deserted his team, leaving Spensa the daughter of a coward, her chances of attending Flight School slim to none.

No one will let Spensa forget what her father did, yet fate works in mysterious ways. Flight school might be a long shot, but she is determined to fly. And an accidental discovery in a long-forgotten cavern might just provide her with a way to claim the stars. 


Have you read Skyward? What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. I’ve never read a Sanderson novel but I see them everywhere!! This could be one to try :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you NEED to! I love this one and his Mistborn trilogy. But Skyward is just so fun and exciting, I definitely think you will like it.

      Delete
  2. After reading your review, I feel like I should add this to my to-read list :) I love science fiction, and it is very interesting to see that the characters are well-developed along with many aspects of the book (world-building and writing, among many things). Spensa sounds like an awesome character! Thank you for sharing this! :) I've been endlessly adding books to my goodreads to-read list, and I'm definitely adding this for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! It is some awesome and crazy fun science fiction. Brandon Sanderson is probably the best at world building that I have ever seen. I cannot wait to see how it grows throughout the rest of the series. I have also been adding books to my reading list constantly the past couple of months.

      Delete