Friday, March 27, 2020

Netflix Shows to Binge-Watch During Self-Isolation


Raise your hand if you waste way too much time endlessly binge-watching shows on Netflix? I am one hundred percent guilty of this. Truthfully, Netflix shows help me procrastinate doing my university work. But especially now that there is a pandemic occurring, people are in need of some quality distractions. I myself am self-quarantining after returning home from Scotland and have spent all of my time watching movies, YouTube videos, reading, and playing the new Animal Crossing. So here are some awesome shows to watch during this odd time of life.

the haunting of hill house


This show is a dream for horror-lovers. It came out nearly two years ago and I still haven't stopped thinking about it. The story follows two different timelines, one set in the past and one in the present. The Crain family has been left traumatized and torn apart after the horrors they experienced in Hill House. But what exactly happened all those years ago and what has been haunting the family members ever since? Is it just bad memories or is it actual ghosts? Be prepared to scream, cry, and fall in love with this show. The characters will touch your heart and the masterful execution will leave you impressed. Even if you have already seen this show, now is the perfect time for a rewatch to prepare for the second season coming out this autumn. However, the second season follows an entirely different story.  


peaky blinders


I didn't watch Peaky Blinders for the longest time. It always sounded interesting, but not intriguing enough for me to finally sit down and enjoy it. But oh boy, will you enjoy it. Peaky Blinders centers around a gang by the same name, of which the main members are the Shelby family. Thomas Shelby, the protagonist and leader, has recently returned to Birmingham from fighting in WWI and he has a clever, dangerous scheme up his sleeve. I cannot find a single fault in this show. The acting? Amazing. The characters? Endearing and realistic. The story? Engrossing. The cinematography? Divine. Plus, the soundtrack is fantastic and I also recommend listening to the playlist on Spotify. My favorite characters are Thomas himself, aunt Polly, and the gorgeous but secretive Grace. It is gritty, absorbing, and will absolutely take over your life. Cillian Murphy, who plays Thomas, is just superb.


lucifer


Lucifer is based on Neil Gaiman's graphic novel series The Sandman. Now, you're probably wondering what the devil this show is about. Well, that's it. It follows the devil, Lucifer, who has decided to abandon Hell and his evil ways. He decides to take up residence in LA running a nightclub and eventually helping the LAPD with crime investigations. He's sassy, he can sing, and he has intense daddy issues. But don't worry, he has a therapist for that. The funniest gag is that he is entirely honest about his identity--he isn't attempting to hide the fact that he is satan himself. It isn't his fault that no one believes him. However, trouble is always brewing when the devil is around and things aren't so easy in Heaven, either. Lucifer refuses to return home to Hell despite his angel siblings coming after him. It's hilarious, devilish, and combines two of my favorite things: crime TV and magic. 

the witcher


The Witcher just came out on Netflix at the end of 2019 and I spent the entire week of Christmas binge-watching this show. It is based off of the fantasy series by Andrzej Sapkowski, which also inspired a series of video games of the same name. Even if you haven't read the books or played the games (like me), you will still love this show. The Witcher follows Geralt, a witcher by career. His job is to hunt demons and monsters for coin. He also says, "Hmm, fuck," a lot. While he is the main focus of the plot, the story also follows a powerful sorceress named Yennefer that Geralt often runs into and Ciri, a young princess on the run. All of their stories are destined to converge as a powerful nation rises up and attempts to conquer the continent, including Ciri's kingdom. The Witcher is funny, dark, and a perfect high fantasy show for any magic lovers. 


the great british bake off


If you need something more light-hearted to take your mind off of life's current events, The Great British Bake Off/Baking Show is perfect. Watch a group of charming British home bakers compete to win the title of Star Baker every episode, eventually culminating in the ultimate winner. The judges are fair but stern and the hosts are there to cause laughter or to comfort disappointed competitors. It's sweet (literally), lovable, and anything but cutthroat. If you want to relax or get some baking inspiration, give this one a watch. There are multiple seasons available to binge-watch to your hearts content. I find this show to be so heartwarming and it is fun to pop on the TV while you're busy baking in the kitchen. Trust me, before you know it you will become obsessed and be attempting a Battenburg cake yourself.



What is your favorite show on Netflix?

12 comments:

  1. Bake Off is the best show! I love how much it differs from American food competitions. It’s so light and fluffy. I love watching the reruns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I have rewatched it so many times. And I love that as well! Everyone is so nice and helpful rather than hurting others to win.

      Delete
  2. PEAKY BLINDERS IS AMAZING! I agree that thomas, and grace and polly are the best characters! But I also find thomas’s brothers interesting at times. The Witcher was good but only 8 episodes?!? torture waiting for the next season sigh. I started watching Lucifer but haven’t finished it. This is a great list with a lot of my favs! Happy watching :)

    (https://bubblybooksblogcom.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, it is just SO GOOD. I love that show so much. Definitely one of my all-time favorites. And yeah, The Witcher is short but I do love a good miniseries. But if it is two years until the next season, I WILL cry. And Lucifer definitely gets better as it goes on! Especially when Netflix gets the rights to it.

      Delete
  3. First, I love the alpaca/llama print! Second, thank you for recommending some fantastic shows on Netflix. I started my free trial but cancelled it because I didn't find anything I liked. Maybe I'll renew my subscription... I loved Lucifer. I watched the first two(?) seasons on TV. Also, would love some makeup recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a Christmas gift from my mom. Netflix has always been my favorite streaming service. If you do decide to renew, let me know if you give any of these a watch. And Netflix actually owns the rights to Lucifer now, so it is even better than it was before. Oh, and I will message you on Instagram about the makeup!

      Delete
  4. I've heard so much about Peaky Blinders from people at school :) I'm considering if I should then give it a try when I can during this really long quarantine. Also, The Haunting of Hill House looks so interesting :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO amazing. I definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone. It is especially perfect during this time. Oh, and so is Hill House! The book that inspire that show (the same title) is also great.

      Delete
  5. I started The Witcher a few days ago but the first episode was pretty meh as I don't really get it. However, I am intrigued with the story direction! I also have Peaky Blinders, Haunting on Hill House, and Anne With An E on my list, I will watch them after I'm finished with The Witcher!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like first episodes of shows are often the weakest. But it does get better as you go! I am excited to see how the second season is. Whenever it comes out lol. Oh, I should really watch Anne With An E! Everyone says it is awesome. Happy watching!

      Delete
  6. I love The haunting of hill house, it's more enjoyable watching a second time! You catch a lot more things, and still know what to expect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have watched it four times at this point lol. You are right that it just gets better and better with each watch.

      Delete