Friday, October 30, 2020

3 Movies I Have LOVED Recently

Even with movie theaters still closed due to the pandemic, I have been watching tons of films. I love a good story--that's one of the reasons I adore reading so much. Movies are a perfect combination of my love of plot and photography (or cinematography). Between Netflix, Disney+, Redbox, and all of the other platforms available to rent or purchase movies on, there is no shortage of content to enjoy. Here are five spectacular movies to watch this weekend.


the old guard

The Old Guard was a summer Netflix original movie based on the famed graphic novel series by the same name. Starring Charlize Theron and a diverse cast, the story shares the lives of five immortals. Andromache, known as Andy, is the eldest of the group and has been hardened by her long, long life. She is on the edge of giving up on humanity entirely when her comrades rope her into one last rescue mission to save a group of schoolchildren. However, they soon realize the mission is an elaborate trap and they escape on the run. A previously trusted ex-CIA agent and a pharmaceutical CEO are hunting the immortals down. They want to unlock the secrets hidden in their DNA to sell and use at their own discretion. To these centuries-old warriors, being captured and studied like lab rats is their worst fear. Although they cannot die, at least not often, they can still feel pain. As they embark on their chase, Andy and the group begin to see visions of another new immortal and they know they must reach her first. What makes The Old Guard so good is the skillful acting, the well-choreographed and heart-dropping action, as well as the somber tale of a band of warriors that spend their many lifetimes  protecting others. But will the group be able to escape unharmed or will they be trapped forever in the clutches of those who hold little to no regard for their safety? I for one cannot wait for the sequel.


knives out

I know I am a bit of a latecomer to this party but I cannot resist mentioning this film. Knives Out is currently available on Amazon Prime. The film is an eccentric mystery centered around a wealthy family and their mystery author patriarch. Without giving away too much, since this is a mystery after all, I will say that the mystery begins when the patriarch is found one morning dead from apparent suicide. But someone is not buying the tale and hires a famous detective with unusual methods to investigate the death. No family member or friend is left out of the scrutiny. But who did it, if anyone? And which one of them will crack first? As a lifelong Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes fan, this film reminds me of course of a classic novel. As the stories interweave and characters' lies build up, the movie becomes more and more intense as the seconds pass. Knives Out features a star-studded cast including Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, and Jamie Lee Curtis. I found myself laughing and gasping all in one breath. The story is enticing and fun while having all the dark staples of murder and lies.

 

john wick

Listen, I love Keanu Reeves. He just seems like such a talented and wholesome person. Other than The Matrix, John Wick is probably his most popular film series. And wow, is this story enticing. The movie begins with John Wick's beloved wife's death. In his grief, John receives a late gift from her--a puppy. His wife did not want him to be alone in her absence. The tough and determined John, rife with loss, attempts to move on with his life. Until one evening when a group of men break into his home, steal his car, beat him, and kill his dog. These men had no clue the series of events they were setting in motion that night. For John Wick is no normal man: he is an ex-hit man and a highly skilled one at that. He is so feared in the crime underworld that they refer to him as the Boogeyman. After these men, the ringleader being the child of a Russian mafia boss, steal the last piece of his wife from him, John begins a mission to kill them all. What would you do if the Boogeyman came after you? John Wick is heartfelt, exhilarating, and charming all at once. I cannot recall the last time I have seen an action film that has set my heart pounding in the same way. The movie explores not only John's revenge, but the assassin underground--including a hotel safe haven for assassins. The fight scenes did not make me dizzy with shaky cameras or an abundance of jump cuts. Rather, they reminded me of Daredevil with the long one-takes and smooth transitions. All in all, John Wick is gritty and fun. Watch it. 



What movies have you watched recently?



9 comments:

  1. I love John Wick and I liked Old Guard, Of course the latter was not Mad Max (I loved this one, If you have not watched). I am taking Knives Out to my list.

    I watched Detective Pikachu again, just to have a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not watched Mad Max before! I am adding it to my list. Detective Pikachu is SO GOOD. I should really watch it again soon because it is such a fun, cute film.

      Delete
  2. I need to give Knives Out another try. I tried watching it a few months ago and I just wasn't in the mood to watch a movie so it didn't work out. But I am confident that I will like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like Knives Out! It does seem a little like an Agatha Christie to me and I know you like a good mystery.

      Delete
  3. I love both the Old Guard and Knives Out! I really hope there will be a sequel for The Old Guard. I've heard nothing but amazing things about John Wick but I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to gore and it seems like the movie has quite a lot of explicit gore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THINK I read that there will be at least 2 sequels to The Old Guard and I am extremely excited to see them. Especially after that ending. I would say you would be okay watching John Wick! There is violence and blood but I would not describe it as gory at all. Certainly not like some horror films or anything.

      Delete
  4. Seeing John Wick: Chapter 3 in theaters was the best! If you enjoy the action and (slight) gore scenes, I highly recommending continuing the series.

    Happy to see your blog alive, Erin! I always love reading your posts. Hope you're well 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, it's been too long! I am doing fine, although stressed by finals. I hope you are also doing well. I really enjoy John Wick and I cannot wait for the rest of the series. I never got to see any in theaters, so hopefully (COVID allowing) I can see the next one there.

      Delete