Friday, October 2, 2020

The Best Middle Grade Book Series for All Ages


We all have those books we read as a child and have held dearly in our hearts ever since. These are the books and memories that we look back on fondly. Yet, some middle grade or children's book series are entirely enjoyable at any age. I read some of these as a kid, yes, but some I read as a teen or an adult. My older age did not diminish my adoration for these books. Everyone, old, young, or somewhere in between, can read and appreciate these ones.


magyk by angie sage

I recall the first time I read Magyk. I was ten years old and fresh off my Harry Potter obsession. Like the other magical series, this one is a seven book fantasy series filled with mystery and a cast of beloved characters. But don't be fooled: Magyk is not a HP copycat. The novel follows the fate of two young children. Septimus Heap, the fated seventh son of a seventh son, was whisked away at his birth after being wrongfully pronounced dead. That same night, his father finds a baby girl abandoned in the snow. Amidst the loss of their child, the Heap family decides to take in the young girl and name her Jenna. But what is their new daughter's true identity and whatever happened to their lost son? The mysteries will collide and drive the family on a wild adventure filled with potions, charms, and dark forces. 


the book of three by lloyd alexander

I am trying not to play favorites, but The Prydain Chronicles is undoubtedly the best series on this list. This is an older classic that does not get nearly the amount of love it deserves. The enthralling world, the characters, and the writing combine to create a wondrous tale of bravery, identity, and friendship like no other. If you are going to read any of these books, choose this one. The Book of Three follows a young pig keep and orphan named Taran. Raised by a reclusive old wizard, Taran dreams of becoming a hero. He may have his chance when Hen Wen, the oracular pig, goes missing. In his quest to find the magical pig, Taran collects an unlikely band of companions to fight the Horned King and the forces of evil to save not only Hen Wen, but the kingdom. 


the lightning thief by rick riordan

If you have yet to read the Percy Jackson series, what have you been doing with your life? I have been rereading this childhood favorite recently and have fallen in love all over again. The Lightning Thief is set in a world where the Greek gods of old still exist. Young Percy soon finds out a secret his mother has kept from his his entire life: his father is none other than Poseidon, making Percy a demigod. His identity puts him in a world of trouble as he is hunted by mythical monsters. Knowing she now has no choice, Percy's mother sends him to Camp Half-Blood, a hidden camp for young demigods. However, in the desperate race to deliver him safely to camp, his mother is taken after a vicious duel with the minotaur. To find his mother again, Percy must venture on a treacherous quest to reach the Underworld and prevent a civil war from breaking out among the gods. 


harry potter and the sorcerer's stone by j.k. rowling

Listen, everyone in the world knows about Harry Potter. Most people have read it or watched the movies. It would be a shame not to include it on this list considering my own childhood love of it and the enormous impact it has made on many generations. I still go back to this series more than a decade after first reading it. In case you don't know what this story is about (although, how could you not by now?), the first book follows eleven year old Harry Potter and his discovery that he is in fact a wizard. He soon leaves his abusive aunt and uncle's home to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. However, dark forces from his past are stirring. As an infant, Harry's parents were murdered by the dark wizard, Voldemort, who then attempted to kill Harry, as well. But he failed and disappeared that night, making Harry the only one in history to survive the killing curse. But what if Voldemort wasn't truly gone?


the alchemyst by michael scott

This series is another one I read back when I was in its target demographic. But anyone, young or old, can enjoy this series. The Alchemyst is another fantasy series following none other than Nicholas Flamel. Although records indicate his death in the 15th century, Flamel and his wife, Perenelle, did indeed find the secret to eternal life. Flamel carries this secret hidden within a book called The Book of Abraham the Mage. Over the centuries, he has made it his task to protect this book at all costs because its contents could destroy the world. Dr. John Dee has chased the Flamels across time and continents attempting to steal the book. In the modern age, prophecy indicates that young twins Sophie and Josh are the key to saving the world.



What are your favorite middle grade books?


8 comments:

  1. I remember loving The Alchemyst when I was younger! I read it when I was in a book club and I thought it was so cool. Happy to see it had an impact on you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so underrated! I read the first one for Battle of the Books at my school and then fell in love with the series. I really should reread it. Glad to see others loved it, too.

      Delete
  2. I believe that The Prydain Chronicles were read by, and influenced, every fantasy writer above the age of 40. Incredibly written. Careful, sparse, eloquent prose. And it included strong female characters at a time that it was very rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And to think I never would have read it if not for you haha! One of the best fantasy series ever, hands down.

      Delete
  3. I love The Alchemyst and I'm really happy you included it here since it's sooo underrated!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I don't hear people talk about it a lot but it is such a cool series.

      Delete
  4. My favorite middle grade series has to be the Series of Unfortunate Events. I enjoyed how it's darker than what we typically expect for middle grade, and it introduced some great vocabulary words. I also really liked Geronimo Stilton because they're these fun stories that you can randomly pick up and read, similar to The Magic Treehouse. Plus, they had some cool n' funky fonts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a great series! I never actually finished it because I think I read it when I was a little too old to appreciate it fully. Maybe I should give it another chance now. I do remember enjoying the darker tones and mystery. I ADORED The Magic Treehouse books as a kid!

      Delete