Friday, March 20, 2020

Harry Potter Tour in the Scottish Highlands


In case you missed the memo, I am currently studying abroad for a semester in Scotland! I have had the most amazing time so far, from visiting the Edinburgh Castle to sitting in the cafe where J.K. Rowling first wrote Harry Potter. Speaking of Harry Potter, my childhood love for the series has been reinvigorated since coming to the place of its conception. So when a Harry Potter themed tour of the highlands popped up, I just had to go. I also vlogged the experience if you want to give that a watch.


loch lomond



Our first stop was at Loch Lomond, the site referenced in the famous yet tragic ballad The Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomond as well as the Harry Potter books. The bus tour had left rather early in the morning, so it was still foggy and damp by the time we reached the loch. Mist shrouded the surrounding mountains and drifted across the cool water. The whole effect was ethereal and absolutely gorgeous. The dock was half-sunk in the water and my friends and I posed before it for photos with the Scottish flag and the tour guide's stuffed Nessie. 


glen coe and the three sisters



Glencoe and the surrounding land is a hot spot for Hollywood films and television shows. Background shots are featured in the Harry Potter movies and the Three Sisters mountain range appears in the James Bond movie Skyfall. The tour guide played Adele's song of the same name as we drove by. The scenery gazing out the window of the bus was worth the entire thing, much less the moments when we stopped and were able to explore the areas on foot. Remember the scene in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban where the dementors cross a lake and stop the train to board? That was shot here, in Glencoe. My favorite part of this stop was the Three Sisters and the view. I could spot snow and waterfalls at the peaks, as well as caves and hiking trails. The Scottish highlands have the most unique landscapes and I have never seen anything like it in my life. I'm not sure there is anywhere on Earth like them.


fort william



Fort William is a small town on the eastern shore of Scotland. My tour stopped here for lunch and to do a little exploring before heading to our main destination. Yes, I couldn't help but be drawn into a book store called the Highland Bookshop, even though I can't buy any books while I am studying abroad. I should have brought an entire suitcase dedicated to books. Fort William is such a quaint town with incredible views. Everywhere you look in the highlands is an incredible view. My friends and I ate at a classic pub before rushing back to the bus. Finally, we made our way to...


glenfinnnan



Glenfinnan is the most magical site in all of Britain, the location of the Black Lake, the Glenfinnan viaduct where the Hogwarts Express travels, and the Hogwarts castle itself. Apparently you can only catch sight of Hogwarts if you are a wizard. Muggles, of course, cannot spot it. I cannot begin to describe how cool it was to see these settings from the films in real life. Honestly, this is the ultimate Harry Potter experience. I hiked around the viaduct, down to the Black Lake (actually called Loch Shiel), and to an old church overlooking it all. Glenfinnan is enchanting. I can understand why they chose this place as the setting for Hogwarts and its grounds. Not only is it picturesque, it embraces you with a sense of peace and unity with nature. 

On the way back to Edinburgh, we watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, marveling all the while that we had stood in the very places where the movie was filmed. We also took a Harry Potter themed trivia quiz with out seatmates and my pair won! I am assuming this is due to the fact that my dad and I always played Harry Potter trivia games on walks or trips. In fact, we still do. My love for my favorite childhood series has certainly been re-inspired and I am itching to reread the books when I return home to the states. If you ever have the chance to do a similar tour, whether on your own or with an organized group, do it. 







Would you go on a Harry Potter themed trip into the Scottish highlands?



4 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely beautiful, Erin! Definitely a dream trip of mine for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a dream and SO worth it. I loved Scotland with all of my heart and this was one of my favorite days.

      Delete
  2. This is so exciting and beautiful omg :( Visiting this has always been a dream because I love Harry Potter. Your pics are beautiful and makes me wanna visit someday <3 hopefully when the time comes for me to grab the opportunity :) Thanks for sharing this great experience with us! Also missed seeing you around the community, it's been a while!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing. I hope you can visit someday. This will definitely go down in history as one of my favorite trips/days of my life. And yes, I have missed you as well and hope you are doing okay! Especially during this crazy time right now.

      Delete