Friday, March 6, 2020

10 Best Books of the Decade


I just realized today that I have been writing 2019 on all of my school papers for the past few weeks. For some reason my brain simply refuses to accept that is indeed a new year. But it is not just a new year, but a new decade. I was nine years old when 2010 began and I will be turning twenty soon. Obviously, a lot of the books I read at the start of the decade will not be included here (hello, cringey dystopian/vampire obsessed tween Erin). In fact, I am only including the best books that I read in the past ten years that were also released within the decade. 

the bear and the nightingale by katherine arden


I had a feeling when I picked up this book that it would be amazing. But I had no idea that I was about to read what was to become one of my all-time favorite fantasy books/series. Everything about it, the writing, the plot, the characters, is amazing. The setting is also beyond enchanting, the Russian wilderness filled with spirits, some threatening and some not. But our protagonist, Vasya, is the only one who can see them and is desperate to protect her home when dark forces start to stir.


once upon a river by diane setterfield


Once Upon a River was one of those novels I picked up at the bookstore on a whim. I miss the good old days when I would discover a book in the store and buy it without reading any reviews first. I ended up adoring the whimsical, mysterious story set on the river Thames in the 1800s. It all starts when a girl is found dead, drowned in the river, but suddenly comes back to life. But no one can identify her or where she came from. 


six of crows by leigh bardugo 


When everyone was raving about Leigh Bardugo's new series, I resisted reading it. I had not fallen in love with her previous books and was convinced that Six of Crows would also be a disappointment. Boy, was I wrong. Six of Crows follows a group of criminals who are tasked with attempting the most daring heist in history. But there are other forces at play: magic, political rivals, and war. You will fall in love with each character and the plot takes crazy twists that you will never see coming. 


circe by madeline miller


Admittedly, I am a bit of a classics nerd. I have been interested in Greek mythology ever since I read the Percy Jackson series as a kid. Circe is like the perfect adult version to satisfy the PJ children who have grown up loving mythology. Circe is a powerful sorceress who featured in ancient poetry such as the Odyssey. But she never had her own story or her own voice before Madeline Miller finally gave her one. She weaves a heartbreaking, impactful tale of love, power, and strength. 


vicious by v.e. schwab


When I was around thirteen, my dad came into my room and convinced me to read a book called The Archived by Victoria Schwab. He had found it online and thought I might enjoy it. Little did he know that he was leading me to discover one of my favorite authors. Vicious has remained by favorite novel of hers since I read it. The story follows Victor, a recently escaped convict and Extraordinary person, someone who has supernatural powers. He is seeking revenge against an old friend of his and will go to any lengths to get it. It is a fast-paced, morally ambiguous book that any reader will love. 


the ocean at the end of the lane by neil gaiman


I still find it impossible to choose a favorite book, but when I am asked I say The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Neil Gaiman in general is one of my favorite authors. His sheer writing ability is amazing and all of his books are fantastic, but Ocean is his triumph. I can think of no faults. If there is a perfect book, this is it. It is magical and lyrical with a heartfelt yet adventurous story. If I ever recommend one book, this is it. It is better to go into it without knowing much about the plot, but trust me on this one. 


all the light we cannot see by anthony doerr


Historical fiction is one of my other favorite genres and I really should read more of it. The best one I have ever read is the Pulitzer prize-winning novel All the Light We Cannot See. I have cried reading only a handful of books, including this one. The plot follows two characters during WWII, young, blind Marie-Laure in France and clever Werner in Germany as they struggle to survive the war. It is a beautifully written story that is guaranteed to move you.





we were liars by e. lockhart


Generally, I don't read much contemporary fiction. But I gave We Were Liars a shot back when it became crazy popular and ended up falling in love. It is not a story for everyone but those who appreciate a sad, mysterious tale will appreciate its beauty. The narrative tools the author employs, such as including original fairy tales that the main character writes, is unique and adds a whole extra dimension to the story. Plus that ending


the night circus by erin morgenstern


The Night Circus is another book I read in the first half of the decade. It has been one of my favorites ever since. It follows a circus that only opens at night, one that may be more magical than you would expect. This is a story of love, loss, and time. The pacing is slow, but in a fitting way, allowing you the time and space to truly appreciate the wonder of this book. I have never read a book with so much ambiance.


meddling kids by edgar cantero 


Meddling Kids is a sort of Scooby-Doo revamp with a darker twist. If you enjoy horror, science-fiction, and a healthy does of mystery, this is for you. The way Edgar Cantero utilizes language is descriptive and decadent, unlike anything I have ever read before. Plus, who doesn't love a good monster-hunting story? Meddling Kids is a story about a group of friends who used to solve mysteries as children. But one mystery has left them permanently haunted and they must confront their worst fears again as adults.



What are your favorite books of the past decade?


8 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on a lot of the books here. I read All the Light We Cannot See in high school, and I don’t think I really appreciated it enough. I think it’s time for a reread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should really reread it as well. It is such an amazing novel and I haven't picked it up since it first came out.

      Delete
  2. The Bear and the Nightingale is one of my faves! I listened to the audio and it was stellar! I DNFd Once Upon a River, with plans on revisiting it in the future. Circe and The Night Circus are two I loved, and We Were Liars had me sobbing in the car. Meddling Kids is new to me, but one I think I would really like! Maybe even read it to my oldest?

    Lovely post!
    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just such an amazing series. I can't wait to see what other books Katherine Arden will write in the future. I hope you do return to Once Upon a River because it is so beautiful. We Were Liars is also one of the only books that has actually made me cry. And I would probably not recommend reading Meddling Kids to YOUR kid unless they're in middle school or older due to some mature themes/swearing. But it depends on what they (and you) are comfortable with.

      Delete
  3. I love The Bear and The Nightingale, it's one of my all time favorite too! Same with Vicious. I have a feeling I'll love Once Upon A River :)

    Circe, Six of Crows, and All The Light We Cannot See are amazing reads too!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what Katherine Arden will publish next? She is such an amazing writer. I think you will also really enjoy Once Upon a River. You should totally pick it up.

      Delete
  4. I have yet to read Once Upon a River but love the cover! Six of crows and Crooked Kingdom are also some of my favorite books of ALL TIME. I haven’t read Neil Gaimen yet but have heard he’s good via my sister, I’ll have to check out some of his books when the library’s reopen. Great list!

    (https://bubblybooksblogcom.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that cover is definitely what initially drew me in. It reflects the whimsy of the contents pretty well. Also, you absolutely HAVE to read something by Neil Gaiman. He is such an incredible writer. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is my favorite, but The Graveyard Book, Neverwhere, and American Gods are also amazing.

      Delete