Friday, October 25, 2019

Fictional Worlds I Want to Visit


Sometimes I read a book so vibrant and rich that I am transported to another world entirely. The words pop off the page and pull you in so deep that when you finally manage to drag your eyes away from the page, you are shocked to find yourself in your bedroom or on the train. Some fictional worlds stick with you more than others and I would give my heart to be able to visit them. However, there are some books that I love dearly but would never wish to be transported into, whether that's due to a tyrannical society or a doomed fate. But others resonate with your heart so much so that you feel like you belong there. Do you every feel like fiction is more of a home than reality? 


Hogwarts


To the kids who grew up reading the Harry Potter series, Hogwarts was a dream. We all anxiously awaited our Hogwarts letters and were devastated when they got lost in the mail. J.K. Rowling managed to create a fantastical world filled with magic, bravery, and friends like no other. It is really no wonder that Hogwarts became a place of deep fascination and desire. Rereading the Harry Potter books and being transported back into our old castle feels just like returning home. 

Red London


If you've read V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic series, you undoubtedly fell in love with the magical world of Red London. Even with multiple parallel versions of the city, Red London surpasses them all. It is the center of magic, adventure, and wonder. There you can find sorcerers, magical competitions in the style of the Olympian games, and even pirates. This it the place to be if you crave an adventure filled with duels, thievery, and balls. 

Circe's Island


While Circe is best known a Greek mythological figure making cameos in the Odyssey, she truly comes to life in Madeline Miller's novel, Circe. Miller grants the powerful and forgotten with a voice and powerful perspective in the book. Her secluded island is a nature-loving introvert's dream, fit with lions, beaches, and spells. I would love to spend an eternity there.

Camp Half-Blood


Speaking of Greek mythology, another fictional location I would love to visit is Rick Riordan's famous Camp Half-Blood. Home to demigods and many mythical creatures, this camp was a dream to a nine-year old me. However, I recently reread Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief and fell in love with Camp Half-Blood all over again. From the strawberry fields to the Big House, I felt at home again, imagining I, too, was a demigod with an immortal parent.

Grishaverse


With the news of the Shadow and Bone show getting an official cast, I am even more excited about the Grisha world. Leigh Bardugo created an extensive world filled with magic, trickery, and friendship. Whether it's Ketterdam or Ravka, I would gladly slip between the pages of the book and fall into the story myself. The story isn't devoid of danger, but along with that comes daring and marvelous feats. The characters in both Six of Crows and Shadow and Bone speak to my heart and if I could meet these fictional people in real life, it would be a dream come true. 

The Night Circus


If you had asked me as a child what I would want to be when I grew up, I would answer that I wanted to be a sorcerer, an enchantress, or a witch. Honestly, my response hasn't changed much. The Night Circus is the most enchanting and alluring place I have ever read about. I cannot begin to describe in words how captivating it is. Picture this: a magical circus that only opens at night, featuring tents of wonder and demonstrations that defy reality. Isn't that just a dream?



What fictional worlds do you want to visit?


8 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you mentioned Circe! She is such a badass character who I honestly want to be best friends with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is amazing and I would LOVE to meet her. Her character really resonated with me.

      Delete
  2. This is such a perfect list, Erin! I love all of them and would love to visit all of them! For the Grishaverse, it's especially Ravka because of how vivid it just feel for me.

    Tasya // THE LITERARY HUNTRESS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! Ravka is so magical and I would love to visit. I hope it is represented well in the Netflix show.

      Delete
  3. Hogwarts and Red London are two of my favorite fictional worlds. Circe's island sounds like my kind of place, lol, and it definitely makes me want to read the book now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are so magical and breathtaking. And Circe is such an incredible book, you should definitely read it. It is one of my favorite books of the year for sure.

      Delete
  4. Hogwarts and Red London would be at the top of my list of fictional places to visit. I wish they were real!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be so fun to visit them? If only we could just hop right into books.

      Delete