Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Best of Netflix (2017)


Like everyone else, I have a slight obsession with Netflix. I've binge watched a problematic number of movies and TV shows, and while it is difficult to choose my absolute favorites, I've attempted to narrow the frighteningly long list down to the best. (Although, I'm still upset about the removal of Doctor Who and Buffy the Vampire Slayer).
Stranger Things


Last year, I was a little late to the Stranger Things fan club. But when I fell for it, I fell hard and binge watched the entire first season in one day. It is pure, geek heaven science fiction with phenomenal actors, including the kids (who would have thought?). Finally, the atmosphere of the '80's setting is so visceral you feel like you've been pulled back in time.

Daredevil


In case you didn't know, I am a Marvel over DC kind of girl, and when it comes to Netflix Marvel series, I could not recommend them more. Daredevil depicts some of the best fight scenes I have ever seen, in movies and TV. The characters are gray and morally ambiguous at times, and the show is as dark as they come. Concisely? I love this show.

Jessica Jones


Jessica Jones is similar to Daredevil in a few ways: dark, morally ambiguous, and made by Marvel. However, the villain is what steals the show for me. If you want a villain that is a true, full character and not a standard, manically laughing villain fit with a Russian accent and weird mustache, Jessica Jones will steal your heart just as it stole mine.

Sherlock


I swear it is bred into my blood to love all things Sherlock Holmes related, from the original stories to the many movies and TV shows. But BBC's modern version of Sherlock takes the win. The acting is downright brilliant and you won't be able to catch a mystery no matter how hard you try. 

Parks and Recreation


The first season of this show is admittedly a little rocky. But once you push through that, trust me, you won't be able to stop watching. I haven't laughed at a show so hard in a long time--maybe ever. The characters are varied and as beautifully strange as the small town they live in. 

E.T.


If you can't tell, '80's science fiction is kind of my thing. E.T. is one of the first movies I recall watching and loving as a child. It will absolutely touch your heart, as well as your mind. It's a cult classic movie and I could watch this over and over again for the rest of my life.

V for Vendetta


I don't even know what to say about this one, I just love it. It's one of those movies you just don't forget, and even if you forget the plot or the characters, you'll never forget the ideas. Which, if you watch the movie, is kind of the point.

The Imitation Game


I watched The Imitation Game purely because Benedict Cumberbatch is the star, and I didn't necessarily expect to fall so hard for this movie. Firstly, it is set during World War II and tells the vibrant, tragic life of a often forgotten hero and genius. Secondly, it shows a side of the war you don't often see--the brains behind it all. Simply put, it is elegantly done.

Rogue One


It's no secret that I adore Star Wars, and I could have cried happy tears when I realized the latest episode was on Netflix. And this movie may very well make you cry. If you're a die-hard Star Wars fan, you'll love it for the hints at classic movie moments. Also, as much as I love the Jedi and wish I could be one myself, the "normal" rebels take the stage in this movie. It is gritty and shows the harsh side of the war and rebellion. I have no words.

Zootopia


Disney will always be everything to me, and Zootopia is no exception. It is adorable, funny, and sophisticated. It is not another children's movie with bright colors and loud music. Anyone and everyone will enjoy this movie, especially as it parallels our current culture.

Heathers


Admittedly, it may take a certain sardonic, twisted sense of humor to truly appreciate this movie. I'm not going to lie, it is certainly messed up. It's a satire and a comedy, as well as a tragedy and another '80's favorite of mine. 

The Iron Giant


This is another childhood nostalgic indulgence for me. It will break your heart and heal it all at once. I have never seen such an authentic movie, and an animated one at that. It has a surprising depth and poses some hard hitting questions that evolve into impactful themes that still affect me to this day.

Doctor Strange


I swear, I am not obsessed with Marvel. Well, at least not too much. Not only do I love the comic books, but any Stan Lee Marvel adaptation is absolute perfection. Doctor Strange is a mind trip, and it isn't a typical super hero tale. Dr. Strange himself is no physical hero. Rather, he deals with the metaphysical world and magic. It is the best mesh of science fiction, super heroes, and fantasy that I have seen in a long time.


6 comments:

  1. I feel like I am the last person in the world who doesn't have Netflix...
    But omg The Iron Giant!! I remember that film so well! 10/10 would watch again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I have a slight Netflix addiction, so maybe it's better not to have it... And I feel like The Iron Giant is so underrated?? I love it. Thanks for commenting, Rebekah!

      Delete
  2. OKAY DUDE HAVE YOU SEEN ATOMIC BLONDE BECAUSE I N E E D IT.

    Awesome selection!! I'm also a Marvel over DC kind of girl. Ahhhh, everyone's been telling me to watch Parks + Rec!! It does look pretty good :) my favorite shows on Netflix are probably The West Wing and Ouran High School Host Club, and my favorite movies are POTC 1 and The Emperor's New Groove.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet, actually! Isn't it like a female spy thing? And Marvel is just the best, and their movies/shows have been so on the ball these past few years. As for Parks and Rec, I think you would really like it because it is so witty. I like The West Wing, we used to watch that in gov class! Thanks for commenting, Ellie!

      Delete
  3. Ooh I love Doctor Strange! HIS COAT THOUGH. And some of those lines were so hilarious.😂 I also love Stranger Things (aaall the strangeness in this comment apparently) but I haven't seen the last episode yet. I got spoiled and now, eh. But I will watch it eventually.😂 Also Jessica Jones/Daredevil. Tbh I don't know why I haven't watched them.

    I just (FINALLY) finished watching Riverdale! It took me 2 months.😂 A little too much angst for me but the characters were precious. Now I'm watching Atypical (super cringey) and I tried to watch The Get Down but the episodes are sooooo long and I have the attention span of a gnat.😂 I also want to watch Peaky Blinders but not sure if it's on Netflix or not? Must find out. *dashes off*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE HIS COAT. Like, a sentient coat? I WANT. And Cait, be prepared for the last Stranger Things episode. It will break your heart, even with the spoilers. I think you would love Jessica Jones and Daredevil as well. And I agree, the angst and drama is so real in Riverdale, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine. And I've heard so many great things about Peaky Blinders. Thanks for commenting, Cait!

      Delete