Friday, July 1, 2016

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater


Publication Date:  April 26, 2016
Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Pages:  439
Series:  The Raven Cycle #4
Genre:  Fantasy
Synopsis:  For years, Gansey has been on a quest to find a lost king. One by one, he’s drawn others into this quest: Ronan, who steals from dreams; Adam, whose life is no longer his own; Noah, whose life is no longer a lie; and Blue, who loves Gansey… and is certain she is destined to kill him.  Now the endgame has begun. Dreams and nightmares are converging. Love and loss are inseparable. And the quest refuses to be pinned to a path.




Review:  Depending on where you begin the story, it's about a blonde 14 year old who fell into this book series without much grace or expectation.  And at the end of it, it took a month of picking up the last book, reading the prologue, becoming overwhelmed with the terrifying and completely unbelievable prospect that The Raven Cycle was coming to a close, and setting the book down again.  But, as it turns out, this final installment was difficult to resist for long.

The Raven King is, in itself, a world of myth and magic.  Never has something so whimsical and ethereal made itself seem so tangible.  Reality pales in comparison to the wonders--and horrors--existing inside this story.  It steals your soul into a land that is more the essence of a living thing than that of ink and paper, leaving you dazed and dreaming.


Depending on where you began the story, it was about this place: the long stretch of mountain that straddled a particularly potent segment of the ley line.

If this book is anything, it is the reality you know plus more.  All your hopes and nightmares morph into writing and unfold as a surreal story bound together and sold at your local bookstore.  Somehow, against all odds, The Raven King takes everything you thought you knew about this particular peculiarity and gives you more.  

Everything comes full circle in the end:  the truths we wished we didn't know and the secrets that still remain a little mysterious.  It is a perilous journey, and a devastating one.  But it leaves you with just the right amount of hope.

What a strange constellation they all were.

Gansey and Blue, Ronan and Adam (can you ever believe there was a time I disliked Adam?).  Their characters, flawed and complex as they are, were subjected to a masterful tragedy that gifted them fantastic character arcs.  I was a little in love with all of them.

Henry was a new addition to the cast, and I was far from disappointed.  He was funny and clever, if a bit convenient.  Noah's plot turned in some unforeseen ways and I was content with the way it wrapped up.  

Such a vibrant and impossible story deserves an equally vibrant and impossible conclusion, and Maggie Stiefvater passed with flying colors.  The setting, the characters, the magic--they were all painted in stunning detail with Stiefvater's poetic writing.  I would not hesitate to start over and experience it all again. 


He was a book, and he was holding his final pages, and he wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, and he didn't want it to be over.

As ever, I am not without complaint:  the Gray man's story fell a bit short for me, as did Piper's.  I feel a little cut off from that end and wished there was a handful of more pages dedicated to them. 

It is as sad a farewell as can be, but with The Raven King, it feels as if the story hasn't really ended.  As if somewhere, sometime, they are all perpetually running around in Cabeswater searching for dead kings.



16 comments:

  1. YAY HAPPY YOU LOVED THIS! This series is so magical yet mystical yet relatable at the same time. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! This is probably one of my favorite series ever. It's hard not to love! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I'm SO GLAD you ended up loving this! Haha, I used to dislike Adam too, but he really grew on me and I shipped him so hard with Ronan - I wish they'd more parts together at the end. Anyhow, I actually like how Maggie Stiefvater doesn't feel the need to add meaningless fluffy scenes at the end of her novels/series to satisfy the fans, like many authors do. (Hope that makes sense? lol)
    I did have some problems, too, but I gave it the five rating, as it was still one of the best series conclusions I've read in awhile.
    Wonderful review, Erin! <33
    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! And let me tell you, I ship Adam and Ronan SO MUCH. I would read an entirely separate book about them. And I totally agreed with you. I love how she puts just enough of everything and let's the story unfold naturally. I loved this series with all of my heart and I am so sad that it is over. Thanks so much for commenting, Veronika!

      Delete
  3. So glad this was a great conclusion for you! I have this series on my TBR. Everyone loves it and I am so intrigued. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always get nervous about final books and whether or not they will live up to their potential. You should definitely give this series a go, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Omg reading your review just makes me want to weep because... it's over... The Raven Cycle is over... I refuse to admit it - like you said, can we go to Cabeswater and find them all and repeat the adventure but with us as part of the team as well? I completely agree with everything you said - what did happen to the Gray Man?! Brilliant review Erin! <3
    (also, never mind Stiefvater's poetic writing, what about Erin's poetic reviewing?! I say this every time, but omg your reviews make me want to behave like an english teacher and point out all the beautiful words you've used <3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so sad. I am still in shock. The Raven Cycle is one of those series I just want to jump into and live myself. I especially want to meet all of the characters, the Gray Man included so I can ask him what exactly happened with him in the end. And THANK YOU so much! You are honestly far too kind to me all the time and it always makes my day!

      Delete
  5. The way you written this review... wow I thought it was Maggie who wrote it! You have the same magical talent of weaving words like her<3 There are also time that I hate Adam... I'm glad you enjoyed this and this is such an lovely review Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much! That means a lot since Maggie Stiefvater is just amazing and I definitely look up to her. And I'm glad to hear I wasn't alone on the Adam thing. Thanks so much for commenting, Tasya!

      Delete
  6. I NEED TO REAAD THIS SERIES <3 I feel so guilty over having not started on this yet, but just reading other people's reviews (including yours) just makes me look forward to it more. I love how you worded out your review Erin. <3 Amazing review! I might *hopefully* get this sometime this year. :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU REALLY DO. It is one of my favorite series ever and I really think you would love it. I can't think of any serious flaws and it's so magical. Anyway, thank you so much for commenting, Jillian!

      Delete
  7. I was nervous that you wouldn't enjoy The Raven King but you did (!!!) and I can sleep easier now.(i'm kidding) I don't think I'll ever be over The Raven Cycle. Like you say, everything came into a full circle but I wanted... more. Curse you Stiefvater. Once again Erin, amazing review!

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy it ended well. I always get so nervous when it comes to finales. But I don't think I'll ever get over it either. I would kill for a spin off something. Thanks so much for commenting, Anna!

      Delete
  8. I still have to read The Dream Thieves but I'm really happy all the books are out now. I really loved The Raven Boys because Maggie's writing style and tone is really different! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like reading all the books in a series in a marathon read. This series would be perfect for that, especially with the beautiful writing. Thanks so much for commenting, Inah!

      Delete