Friday, June 26, 2020

My Favorite LGBTQ+ Characters


In celebration of this year's Pride Month, I have decided to share a list of some of my favorite queer characters from books that I love. Whilst compiling this list, I came across an unfortunate conclusion: there are simply not enough LGBTQ+ characters! And especially not enough lesbian, transgender, or bisexual ones. If you have any recommendations for books featuring more LGBTQ+ characters, let me know!

patroclus 



I'm sorry, but if you try to tell me that Achilles and Patroclus were not, in fact, lovers...well, I would be obligated to educate you. Clearly, the two were deeply in love. I mean, Achilles requested that their ashes be mixed together after death. I am so happy that Madeline Miller openly portrayed the couple in her mythology inspired novel, The Song of Achilles. I adore Achilles, as well, but Patroclus is the sweetest little cinnamon roll and must be protected at all costs. 

magnus bane


Ah, yes, Magnus Bane. How could I not include the Shadowhunters resident and iconic bisexual warlock? He loves eyeliner, glitter, and Alec Lightwood. Oh, and his cat! Any character that is a fellow cat lover is a favorite of mine. Plus, Magnus is a powerful, kind warlock. If I could have any of the Shadowhunters' characters' powers, it would certainly be Magnus' abilities. Oh, and I would take his cat, too.







zachary ezra rollins


In May, I read Erin Morgenstern's long-awaited new release, The Starless Sea. It is not a book for everyone, but I adored it. If you enjoy lyrical prose, strange and complex magic or magical worlds, and rich storytelling, pick this one up. The main protagonist, Zachary Ezra Rollins, is an introverted gay graduate student. Oh, he is also a raging nerd (like myself). He is soft yet brave and I truly enjoyed his character. Although the relationship between him and Dorian was a little rushed and out of the blue, I still found it to be endearing and heartwarming. 






mark blackthorn 


Here we have another Shadowhunter character. Mark Blackthorn cameos in the final installment in The Mortal Instruments and goes on to become a main character in The Dark Artifices. He is a half-fae Shadowhunter and is also a bisexual icon. I really enjoyed and rooted for his relationship with Kiernan and Cristina. I like Kiernan as well, but I preferred Mark. Honestly, all of the Blackthorn children are fantastic. I suppose I could also add Ty or Kit to this list. Basically, any LGBT character that Cassandra Clare has ever written could be included on here because I love them all.

gideon the ninth


I read Gideon the Ninth way back at the beginning of the year and absolutely freaking loved it. I knew the second I finished it that it would be one of my favorite books of the year (and of all time). I am counting down the seconds until the sequel, Harrow the Ninth, comes out in the summer. Listen, you have to read this. It is spectacular and mysterious science fiction. There are sword fights, necromancy, and a enemies-to-lovers romance between Gideon and Harrow. It is an amazing story all around. I am getting excited just typing this. 


nico di angelo


I just have such a soft spot for Hades' moody, emo child. Nico was confirmed to be gay in the follow up series to Percy Jackson, The Heroes of Olympus. I loved seeing his character grow from an uncertain, angry tween into a strong, independent man. I recently reread The Titan's Curse during my Percy Jackson reread, and little baby Nico is so cute. What a nerd.  





ronan lynch


The Raven Cycle was one of my favorite series ever back in 2014/2015. I should honestly give it a reread. But while I was invested in Blue and Gansey's forbidden romance, I was much more interested in the relationship between Ronan and Adam. Unpopular opinion, but Adam is not my favorite character. However, I adored Ronan. His story, past, and magical ability really draws you in. I am such a sucker for a brooding teen with a tragic past. 









rhy maresh


One of my favorite fantasy series is V.E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic trilogy. While Kell and Lila steal the show, I felt quite fond of Rhy and his relationship with Alucard. Rhy can have a temper, but he is such a ray of positivist and joy. His brotherly relationship with Kell is so sweet, but his romance with the dashing Alucard is to die for. Watching them protect and fall for each other all over again in the books was one of my favorite aspects. 



ead duryan


Honestly, there are not nearly enough lesbian characters in fiction. I struggled to find as many female LGBTQ+ members as male ones. But Ead Duryan came to mind. Ead is the main protagonist in The Priory of the Orange Tree, which is a stand alone fantasy novel. She is a powerful, determined sorceress with a heart of gold. While the book had its faults, as all novels do, I particularly enjoyed the romance between Ead and Queen Sabran. Watching them fall for each other in the midst of war and terror was awesome. I rooted for them the entire time.




nina zenik


Until King of Scars, most believes Nina Zenik from Six of Crows to be heterosexual. However, in Leigh Bardugo's recent release, she revealed that Nina is actually bisexual! Listen, I love every single character from SoC. I even named my car "Nina." She has spunk and fire. She is a badass warrior with a love of sweets and fancy dresses. I cannot wait to see what romances await her in the future, especially following Matthias. 







Who are your favorite LGBTQ+ book characters?



10 comments:

  1. That Achilles and Patroclus fanart is adorable! I totally agree that everything about The Song of Achilles is fabulous. My sister asked me if she could read it the other day and I freaked out lol.

    Re-reading the Percy Jackson series has made me appreciate Nico even more! He's such a cutie, and the development he goes through is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, right? TOO cute. I hope your sister loved The Song of Achilles. I mean, I cannot imagine that she wouldn't. It is definitely one of my all-time favorite books now. And yes, Nico is such a sweetheart.

      Delete
  2. this list is so great!! I've been wanting to pick up Song of Achilles for sooo long but I'm also just so scared cause everyone keeps talking about being wrecked by the story! I haven't read Gideon the Ninth yet either but it's definitely on my list, I'm super intrigued by the synopsis!

    Riv @ Small Stained Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Riv! Honestly, The Song of Achilles definitely WILL wreck you emotionally but in a good way haha. It is so amazing and so worth it. What a beautiful, phenomenal book. Gideon the Ninth is just as great, but has a very different vibe. I can't wait for the sequel to come out this summertime.

      Delete
  3. I love Achilles and Patroclus!!! My heart aches thinking about them. I loved how Miller showed a different side to this well-known story. Also not a fan of Adam too. If I remember correctly, I found him a little whiny, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does, too. Such a sweet romance and so tragic. I loved the way Madeline Miller portrayed them and their story. I am just happy she openly wrote them as gay! But yes, Adam was always too proud and whiny for me.

      Delete
  4. Erin this is the exact content I needed to end my Pride Month right. Your list is SO good. All selections A+. I think for me, I would add Francis from The Secret History, Angelo from Lent by Jo Walton, literally the ENTIRE cast of the Isandor books by Claudie Arseneault, and, my new favorites, Vivia and Stix from the Witchlands series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is awesome! I am so happy you enjoyed it so much. I cannot believe I left off Francis! I love him and that book so much. I haven't read the other books, but I will look into them for sure.

      Delete
  5. Ahh I love this list!! 🥺 Magnus and Nico are forever favorites, but I love Mark too! <3 And I LOVE reading about Alucard and Rhy! <3

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Alucard and Rhy had the sweetest relationship and I was rooting for them the entire time.

      Delete