Friday, May 22, 2020

Classics I Haven't Read But Really Need To


I am not usually a classic literature reader. Fantasy will always hold reign as my favorite genre. The classics I have read were either forced upon me in school or were simply different kinds of classics (i.e. the science fiction ones). Brave New World and The Picture of Dorian Gray are amazing. But as a self-professed reader and book lover, many people are shocked that I haven't read anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters. Honestly, they haven't interested me much due to their general plots. Recently I have admitted to myself that I really ought to just do it and read the books. 

pride and prejudice by jane austen


Ah, the age old Austen classic that inspired a series of movies over the past century or so. I have never been inclined to pick this one up despite its fame. The reason? I don't particularly enjoy romance. So why would I read a book centered around a relationship? But I am so very tempted to finally read it just to become acquainted with the beloved character of Elizabeth Bennet. Plus maybe English majors will stop hounding me to read this. Oh, and have you seen the gorgeous, lovely, decadent covers this classic has been printed in? I have nearly broken down and bought it based off of the pretty covers alone. Yes, this is me coming out as a book-cover-judger. Sue me. 





les miserables by victor hugo


Les Mis (fondly referred to as "the brick" by fans) has been high on my to-read list forever. One of my childhood friends adores (cough cough is obsessed with) this novel and has been bugging me to read it since 2014. Yet I have never gotten around to it in all that time. Six years of time! So the question is, why? If the story sounds so appealing (I LOVE the film) and I have people telling me how amazing it is, why have I not read it? Well...I'm a coward. The sheer size of it daunts me. This thing is nearly 1500 pages of translated French. Yes, 1500. When would I ever have the time? Certainly not during the school semesters. Ah well, one day. For now I will be content by rewatching the movie. Again. 





jane eyre by charlotte bronte 


Can I be honest here? I often mix up Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. I mean aren't they both English Regency style romances? With a lot of drama and society ruling? I suppose I will learn the difference when I read them. Surely they are distinctly different and read quite differently. So far, I can surmise that Jane is orphan who moves to an estate while Elizabeth Bennet is a society darling who needs to get married to save her family financially. Okay, so far, Jane's story sounds far more interesting. Someone tell me which is better and which I should read first.  







the three musketeers by alexandre dumas


I have no excuse or reason as to why I have failed to read The Three Musketeers. In case you are unaware (how?), this novel is an honor-filled, chivalrous legend filled with love, scandal, and daring. I greatly appreciate a great action-packed heist of a book. In fact, The Count of Monte Cristo by the same author has remained one of my favorite classics since I first read it at thirteen years old. Someone please come to my house and force me to finally read this. I have no excuse. I want to read it. What is wrong with me? (Oh, that's right...I spend too much time watching YouTube/Netflix and wasting my life away haha). 






rebecca by daphne du maurier


Rebecca is another classic novel I have every desire to read yet lack motivation for no apparent or particular reason. In case you did not know, I am an avid horror fan. I watch scary movies constantly. Daphne du Maurier's classic book follows a newly married woman who finds herself being haunted by her husband's past marriage, and possibly by his dead wife. I love a good ghost story. Honestly, I want to pick this one up right now. I am talking myself into reading this one as I write. Who else thinks that this would make a marvelous inspiration for the unconfirmed third season of The Haunting of Hill House? Both seasons so far (one of which is set to be released in the fall) are based on classic horror novels set in haunted estates, so doesn't this seem perfect? 


Do you enjoy reading classics?

10 comments:

  1. So... I kinda hate most classics. I forced myself to like Pride and Prejudice because I just feel like EVERYONE loves it, but in reality, I really just don't click with most classics.

    The only classic I truly love is actually on this list, Les Miserables! But, I have loved the musical for a very long time so I'm thinking that maybe I just liked the book because I was already so familiar with the story. Not sure how I would receive such a long story if I had no idea about anything lol! Since you love the film as well, I definitely think you will like the novel! And hopefully you don't find it too daunting. It did take me a while to finish haha.

    All this being said, I do hope you give these a try! They could totally be new favourites. I have heard a lot of people say they prefer Jane Eyre to Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I do, too. I feel like I need to read a lot of them because everyone says how amazing they are (like Pride and Prejudice) but I likely wouldn't pick it up on my own whim. Except I have truly wanted to read Les Miserables for YEARS! I am so so happy to hear that you love it, so maybe there is hope for me haha. The musical and the film are just superb and they make me want to read this HUGE book. It is so so so long... But I will give it a try, I promise!

      Delete
  2. UGH LES MIS IS SO GOOD. It took me almost nine months to get through it, but it was totally worth it. And I haven't read Rebecca, but I do like Daphne du Maurier a lot. I'm reading My Cousin Rachel right now, and I read The House on the Strand last year or so. Classics in general are a very good vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I REALLY need to read it, huh??? I have wanted to for years. Even if it takes me nine months, as well, I should just bite the bullet and do it. But I have heard My Cousin Rachel is amazing! I should really add that one to my list.

      Delete
  3. I see two of my favorite classics! I think you already know how much I love P&P, but Rebecca is my favorite classic novel hands down. When I first read it, I didn't enjoy it that much, so I DNF'd it. When I reread it, I appreciated the purple prose (it can be excessive!) Can't wait to see what you think of those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that! I don't hear much about Rebecca but it just sounds so beautiful and atmospheric. I adore purple prose and now I cannot wait to read it. Honestly, I will probably pick this one up first.

      Delete
  4. Les Mis and Rebecca are both so good!! I'm not an avid classics reader but I've definitely grown to appreciate them more throughout college - all the different layers of social themes and issues that can be uncovered (all the things I despised in high school) actually became more interesting >_< One of my all time favorites is Crime and Punishment and I've only read it once (oops) - every time I make an effort to pick it up again I get intimidated by the size so I definitely feel you on that! :)

    Riv @ Small Stained Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that! Those are probably the top two on my list that I REALLY want to read in the near future. I was not a fan of being forced to read classics in high school, either, and I think that has lead to some general dislike of them. Crime and Punishment is another one I should add to this list! But wow, some of these classics are HUGE bricks haha.

      Delete
  5. The Three Musketeers has a great villainess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what!!!??? Why have you never told me this???

      Delete