Friday, August 30, 2019

Books that Made Me Cry


Listen, I'm not a crier. I don't cry when I watch sad movies, stub my toe, or when celebrities die. But I love sad stories because they make me feel things. So I had to find some book that would make me shed a tear eventually, right? There are but a few, but here they are. If you want a good cry, maybe give these ones a read. And don't worry, there won't be any spoilers. 

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

All the Light We Cannot See is a book set during WWII. The dual perspectives follow a young French girl named Marie-Laure who escapes Paris with her father and a young German boy named Werner who gets roped into aiding the war cause. There's a lot of tragedy in the premise of this novel, such as Marie-Laure slowly losing her sight and Werner growing up in an orphanage alone with his younger sister. War is messy and difficult, especially for two children growing up in such horrors. But nothing is more heartbreaking than the ending for me, which I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't yet read this one (although you definitely need to). 

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Crooked Kingdom is the finale in the Six of Crows duology and while I expected there to be a major death or two, nothing prepared me for how hard it would hit. I found myself tearing up a bit and I actually had to go back and reread that particular chapter multiple times for it to really sink in. I was in a state of disbelief because I was reluctant to accept this character's unfortunate passing. However, Leigh Bardugo gave them a perfect ending that suited their character and the novel's story. That didn't make it less sad to read, though. In case you don't know, Six of Crows is a fantasy/heist series following a group of young criminals who must attempt the impossible to secure new futures for themselves. In short, it is brilliant and definitely a must-read.

The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden

This is another finale to a favorite fantasy series of mine. The first book, The Bear and the Nightingale, introduces the reader to the magical and harsh world of old Russia and to the daring heroine, Vasya. It is not secret that this is one of my favorite series of all time and The Winter of the Witch formed the perfect ending. I found myself choking up at a myriad of points, especially at a few key deaths that practically broke my heart in two. But I found myself tearing up the most in the final chapters because I did not want this book to be over. You know a book is amazing and touching when you are so sad by its ending. I could have kept reading this book forever, but alas, everything must end at some point.

The Final Empire (Mistborn) by Brandon Sanderson


If you are a fantasy lover, you need to pick up the Mistborn series right away. The world is rich and the magical powers are incredibly unique. I also happen to adore most of the characters, so when there was a certain dramatic death scene at the end of the first book, it had me in tears. Although I could see the death coming from a few chapters away, it still affected me deeply and shocked my poor little heart. I admit that I'm a sucker for this kind of ending in particular, so maybe that is what did me in. I won't say much in order to avoid spoilers, but I will say that this is high fantasy at its best and it follows a ragtag team of criminals trying to survive in a world where the villain won. 

The High King by Lloyd Alexander


If you have ever read my blog or spoken to me about books before, chances are I have mentioned the Prydain Chronicles at least once. This series will forever hold a special place in my heart and I cannot even begin to express my deep love for it. While the occasional death scene had me tearing up, my heart broke simply reading the final pages of this novel. It melted me and made me feel at home, so to witness its finale and to know that there would be no more new books in this world or with these characters caused me to shed a tear or two. Seriously, if you like reading at all, check out The Book of Three and let it make you feel courageous, joyful, and warm. No matter your path, this series will always lead you home. 



What books have made you cry?


4 comments:

  1. I didn’t cry during All The Light We Cannot See but I definitely did love it! It was a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such an amazing story and I just loved all of the characters. And apparently is is going to be a Netflix series! I am super excited for that.

      Delete
  2. Ah..The Prydain Chronicles. There were several scenes that still make me choke up. One that involves an inanimate object. And I know you know which one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The harp :'( So sad. Thank you for being the one to introduce me to this series (and many others) and for being the best dad ever.

      Delete