Friday, June 21, 2019

The Redundancy of A Court of Frost and Starlight


It's no secret that I am a little sick and tired of Sarah J. Maas books in general, but I usually tend to enjoy them because they're entertaining. Even with all the issues I take with her series', they offer an fun read if nothing else. But A Court of Frost and Starlight? Nothing happens. Nothing at all. Like many others, I am beyond frustrated with the absence of any action. 

Listen, I liked the ACOTAR series for the most part. I enjoyed the side characters and the world. But I do not want to spend over 200 pages simply wandering around that fictional world watching the characters pick out presents and eat food. I can do that in my own, perfectly normal life, thank you. Many readers read in order to escape life, to be transported to magical realms and other worlds. There's action, adventure, and excitement. It's like Maas forgot to add any of those vital things into this book.

I understand that ACOFAS is intended to be a novella, but come one--what novella is this length? Over 200 pages exists firmly in novel territory. I just want to know this: what was the point of this book? Because as far as I am concerned, this resembles fan fiction more than an actual installment in this series. I'll save you the time and tell you what occurs in this book: strolls around Velaris, shopping, sex, sexual innuendos, and familial bickering. The only events of note are that Feyre suggests that she and Rhysand should have children, which was basically already conveyed in ACOWAR, and a hint of political scheming. 



All in all, I suppose that this book was somewhat enjoyable. If you adore this series, I doubt you'll mind the lack of a plot and just enjoy the atmosphere and character interactions. But for most readers, this isn't going to cut it. Especially when it costs $18. Take my advice and save your money. Buy another book that has more substance and pick this one up from the library. 

I actually listened to the audiobook of this one, which I never do, but was pleasant. I think this is great to read in audiobook format because you don't need to pay close attention anyway. I particularly enjoyed the narrator, which is rare because I don't typically enjoy audiobooks due to the weird voices. However, having a sex scene read to you out loud by someone else is...odd. As if Maas' erotic descriptions aren't awkward enough. And can we talk about how her books are classified as YA? Because if I read sex scenes like that at 12, I would have been traumatized. Yikes. 


rating



Publication Date: May 1st, 2018
Publisher: Bloomsbury YA
Pages: 229
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: Feyre, Rhys, and their close-knit circle of friends are still busy rebuilding the Night Court and the vastly-changed world beyond. But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it, a hard-earned reprieve. 

Yet even the festive atmosphere can't keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated--scars that will have far-reaching impact on the future of their Court.



Did you enjoy ACOFAS?


2 comments:

  1. I gave up on SJM a long time ago. I find her writing very cringy and almost too “done up,” and her characters are very unlikable. I feel like I waste a lot of time when reading her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too "done up" describes it perfectly. I don't know why I keep reading her books. I find them entertaining but also so frustrating and problematic, so I don't actually *like* them.

      Delete