Friday, May 31, 2019

Summer Reading List



If I'm being honest, Summer is my least favorite season. It's hot, humid, and there are bugs everywhere. But summer vacation is a whole different story. There's time to read and bake, to go to the beach and go hiking (when it's not too hot to venture outside). I used to kill the summer reading program when I was a kid. I survived my first year of university and I am so ready to throw myself into reading (and working). So here are some books that I am incredibly excited to read!

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon


I think everyone has heard about this one by now since it has been all over bookstagram. This is a gorgeous, tantalizing brick of a fantasy novel by Samantha Shannon, who is the author of The Bone Season (another book I need to read). I recently picked it up from the bookstore because it sounds like absolute perfection. There's dragons, assassins, and it is also a stand-alone. In my opinion, there is a distinct shortage of stand-alone fantasy books on the market. I do love a good series, but I am not a fan of stories being needlessly split into trilogies. 






Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett


Can you believe that I haven't read Good Omens yet? Neil Gaiman is one of my all-time favorite writers and Terry Pratchett is a popular and well-respected fantasy author, as well. I have been meaning to get around to this one for years and the upcoming TV show on Amazon Prime is forcing me to whip myself into gear. This book is a hilarious end of the world style novel with a demon and an angel serving as the main characters. With the apocalypse brewing, both sides are getting nervous because someone has misplaced the antichrist. Now the demons and angels must work together to find them before the end of days arrives. This book sounds so much fun and the show stars some very notable actors, including David Tennant, otherwise known as the tenth doctor or Kilgrave. 



Circe by Madeline Miller


If you don't know, Circe is a legendary Greek sorceress from mythology. I have loved Greek mythology ever since reading the Percy Jackson series as a child and Circe has always fascinated me as a character in the classic myths. She is known as a powerful enchantress and sometimes as the goddess of magic, but she was exiled to an abandoned island by the gods. Madeline Miller's Circe follows the alluring and powerful woman in a blend of fantasy, history, and mythology. People have been raving about this book online and it even won a Goodreads Choice Award in 2018. As a lover of all things magic and mythology, I am beyond excited to finally pick this one up. 



Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo


I never planned on ever reading this book. I read Shadow and Bone years ago when it first came out and was altogether unimpressed. The book was fine but failed to wow me, so I never desired to continue the series. But after reading (and loving) Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows duology, I really wanted to read her newest release in the Grishaverse, King of Scars. But in order to do so, I have to finish this original trilogy. Recently I reread Shadow and Bone (shocker, my opinion did not change) and I am ready to finish off this series and get to King of Scars. However, I do enjoy reading these books and I have also heard that the trilogy improves along the way. Maybe I'll fall in love with them yet. Also, unpopular opinion: why does everyone lust after the Darkling? He's clearly a devious and manipulative villain and not the love interest. 

Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas


The time has arrived for me to finally finish off the Throne of Glass series. I have always held a mixed opinion on this series and altogether refused to read Tower of Dawn since its release because I disliked the concept. Chaol is not my favorite character and I still dislike reading what is essentially a drawn-out novella, but I have finally started Tower of Dawn. So far, I am enjoying it and am feeling entertained, as usual. One day I'll do an entire post dedicated to my issues with Sarah J. Maas' books, but for now I just want to finish reading these books. No matter what I or anyone else says about the Throne of Glass series, I still find them easy and fun to read and am feeling a little excited to read this finale. 




What books do you want to read this summer?



8 comments:

  1. Circe is so good! It really hits everything from the classic myth on the head. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard such great things about it and I am so excited to read it!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on surviving your first year of uni! (I start uni next year, so scared.) I hope you enjoy all the books on your list.
    Vivien @ Pages of Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it can definitely be scary, but it's exciting, too and I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I'm currently reading Good Omens and while I enjoyed the story, I feel really bad for not enjoying the writing style :( It's been taking me forever to get through the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that! I love Neil Gaiman's writing style and have enjoyed it with Terry Pratchett's as well, but it is a very unique one that isn't for everyone.

      Delete
  4. People have been raving about the Good Omens show, but I haven't read the books yet either. This might be a case where I do things backward and watch the show BEFORE I read the book (I know, you can curse me).

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch the show now that I just finished the book! I can't wait. And there's nothing wrong with watching something before reading the book. Sometimes I find it is what makes me interested in the book to start with!

      Delete