Friday, June 19, 2015

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Publication Date:  September 17, 2013
Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Series:  The Raven Cycle #2
Pages:  439
Genre:  Supernatural
Synopsis:  If you could steal things from dreams, what would you take?

Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.


One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.


And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.


Ronan is one of the raven boys—a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface—changing everything in its wake.


Review:  There is only one question of this book:  why did I not read it sooner?  I read The Raven Boys nearly a year ago and have only just now read The Dream Thieves.  That is ridiculous.  But I think it is because I loved The Raven Boys so much that I didn't think I would have any love left to give for the sequel.  I was so wrong. So completely wrong.


Maggie Stiefvater's writing continues to astound me.  She has such a lyrical, ethereal quality to her words that makes you feel as if you are actually in Henrietta, searching for magic along with the Raven Boys. The book is somehow both witty and full of heart aching emotion. There are so many revelations and possibilities, grown around nightmare worlds and intricate plot.


The magic is stunning, as always.  Only, now, it has a darker perspective.  Ronan, the dream thief himself.  He steals objects from his night time world and brings them back to this mundane one.  But what happens when nightmares become reality?  And that's the thing about magic--someone else is always trying to take it away.  Maggie Stiefvater created this dream place and made it seem so real, so natural.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out these books are dreams themselves.


The characters this author paints onto this canvas of this book are stunningly realistic.  I am almost convinced that they are living, breathing humans themselves, rather than ones made of paper and ink.  


Ronan is the new perspective we gain in this book.  I admit, I was uncertain about him going into this book.  Now, I can't fathom why. Ronan is dangerous and damaged, two of my favorite qualities in a character.  Dream thief, Raven Boy, car racer.  There's so many layers to him, each one poured over the top of another.  I still feel like we haven't seen the entirety of him.  I, for one, am eagerly anticipating getting to the heart of him.  


Blue, cursed, non-physic Blue.  She is sensible and quirky and downright fantastic.  I wanted more of her than I got, but I was just being greedy.  I do want more of the story of her curse unraveled, though.  I need to know how, why, who, what, when, where?  


Gansey has always intrigued me.  I think, in an odd way, I relate to him the most.  Seeing as I am not a wealthy teenage boy attending a prestigious private school, I can't exactly fathom why.  There is something so endless about him, something forever and wondering. I don't want him to die, as we all know he must, since the first chapter of The Raven Boys.  I haven't gotten my fill of him yet, so I hope Stiefvater will hold off on throwing him to the wolves.  Just for a little while, at least.


Adam irks me.  His excessive pride, his anger, the way her never admits when he needs help.  He has so many friends who are there to love and support him, and yet he continues to insist he is alone. Nothing good can come from that.


As for the others, Mr. Gray peaks my interest the most.  His troubled past, his motivations.  He is the bad guy, but he isn't.  You could say he exists in a gray area.  I know, that was a bad pun.  But he is certainly morally ambiguous.  I like him.  Another, Kavinsky, is a nice addition to the plot.  I did not like him, nor did I relate to him, but I enjoyed his story.


The Dream Thieves is such a powerful book, making you want to start of on your own adventure to find magic that surely must exist. The web of lies and secrets and mysteries is astounding.  I am almost afraid to read Blue Lily, Lily Blue, for who knows what kind of predicament I'll be thrown helplessly into next?   


4.5 Keys




4 comments:

  1. I totally loved your thoughts on this! ME TOO. I feel like Maggie Stiefvater's writing is like...omg, it's like a beautiful skill in itself. It's so INCREDIBLE, the way she uses words. *hyperventilates quietly in the background* I adore all the characters, and yup, I have to admit my love for Adam is dwindling. >_> And Kavinsky is awful but I feel bad for him BUT HE'S AWFUL. And Ronan, omg, I love Ronan, even though he's horrible. But he's horrible with a heart of gold. :') So basically YES AND YES TO EVERYTHING IN THIS REVIEW.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maggie Stiefvater's writing is breathtaking. I don't know how one human does it! She must NOT be human, there is no other explanation. Maybe she's a physic. Or a sorcerer! OR (and correct me if I'm delusional) maybe she's Glendower herself!!!! My Adam Love is a tiny little thing by now, but I STILL HOPE. And KAVINSKY, I KNOW! Great character, horrible person. I ADORE Ronan, much more than I thought I would. Such complexity...much character. I must go cry over how awesome this series is now...

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this series yet (I know... shame, shame, haha) but it sounds like you've really enjoyed it! I'm glad to hear you're liking these books, I'll have to start them as soon as possible. I've heard many reviewers rave about Steifvator's writing, but I exactly sure I wanted to read the books, just because I wasn't completely intrigued by the concept. You've convinced me, though! I don't own the books but I'm hoping to borrow them from the library or maybe even order them soon. Just from your review, Ronan seems like an interesting character. I always love to see magic in books and he seems to be full of it. Adam kind of sounds like Nico di Angelo from the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series, although Nico was generally likable and accepts help in the latter books of the Heroes of Olympus series.

    On a different note, I noticed you're reading The Young Elites! I read the book about a month ago but I haven't reviewed it yet. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that one. I'd love to discuss the book with you once you finish!:) Lovely review Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read these, it's mandatory! They're excellent, really. Her writing is absolutely gorgeous, I think you just have to experience it yourself to know. I'm SO glad I've convinced you to read them--you won't regret it. Ronan is full of magic and he's a masterfully crafted character. Honestly, the books are some of the most magical I have ever read, and I have read a LOT of fantasy books. You're right, Adam IS like Nico! Only a lot more prideful. But you'll see what I mean!

      I am LOVING The Young Elites! I knew I would, having previously enjoyed Marie Lu's Legend series, but I didn't think I would like it as much as I am. It is sure to be a positive review, and I'm excited to see what you thought of it! I'm really enjoying the darker undertones of the novel so far! Thanks so much for commenting! :D

      Delete