Friday, June 12, 2020

Movies I Have Been Watching + My Thoughts


Let's cut to the chase: I have been using my sudden free time to mindlessly absorb a ton of media. I compiled a list of *some* of the films I have watched since quarantine began to give you my thoughts on them. 

hereditary 


Hereditary is a fan-favorite horror movie directed by Ari Aster. It follows a family after the maternal grandmother passes and the strange occurrences that follow. I know it may sound like your generic haunting movie, but it is anything but that. Hereditary has claimed the position of the best horror movie I have watched in isolation. Wow, just wow. Not only is it visually stunning from a filmography standpoint, the storyline and acting is so intense and emotional that you will experience visceral reactions. I only wish the Oscars was not so prejudiced against horror films, because this one was so deserving. It is horrifying, yes, and disturbing. It will make your skin crawl and your heart pound. It will also make you scream and cry. Warning for gore and nudity.


onward 


I had been wanting to watch this Disney Pixar film since the trailers were first released. Yes, I am twenty years old and yes, I am a sucker for Disney movies. Onward is set in a magical yet modern day world where magic has taken a backseat to technology. Two elven brothers find a way to potentially bring their deceased father back to life--but only for one day. It is so incredibly fun, hilarious, and touching. If you have grown up with a single parent or know someone who has, Onward will surely cause you to shed a tear or two. Plus, who doesn't enjoy a delightful and daring magical quest? Like all Disney films, it can be goofy and lighthearted but contains moments that will be particularly emotional. 



national treasure 


Can you believe I had never seen this iconic movie before? National Treasure is an action/adventure film following a historian as he searches for the Templar Treasure. The acting is fantastic, as well as the humor, and I just adore a puzzle solving kind of story. If there are riddles, secret passageways, and ridiculous plots to uncover hidden locations/treasures, count me in. I suppose you can tell that I was a kid you was obsessed with the Nickelodeon show House of Anubis back in the day. Does anyone remember that? Anyways, this movie is a clever and entertaining watch. My only true complaint is that the romance seemed a little forced and unnecessary. I did not sense any sort of connection between the two characters. Oh, well. Mid-2000s films always needed a romance for some reason. And now I finally understand the memes about stealing the Declaration of Independence. 


What Lies Beneath 


I stumbled across this one on Netflix and ended being surprisingly pleases. What Lies Beneath is a horror/psychological thriller starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford, who play a married couple. After her daughter moves off to college, the wife begins to suspect that her house is haunted. But is she truly being trailed by a specter or is she losing her mind? This movie was far better than I expected. I admit that I am biased and love Harrison Ford, but the tension that built up through this movie was superbly executed. You question whether the ghosts are real or if the wife is actually insane. But soon other secrets come to light. Honestly, I recommend this to people who don't typically enjoy horror, as well as those who do. It leans more towards being a thriller than a true scary movie--but in the best possible way of blending the genres. However, the plot is slow and stretches out for over two hours. 


midsommar 


Now, here is a film for true horror lovers. I don't know if I would suggest it for those who enjoy very traditional horror (jump scares and haunted houses), but die hard fans are bound to appreciate it. And that is the thing: Midsommar is not a movie to be enjoyed, precisely, but is one to appreciate. Decide for yourself whether that is a positive or a negative. I would class it as what I like to call "disturbing" horror. That is, the kind that, well, disturbs you and makes you feel uncomfortable, like you are intruding on and witnessing something you shouldn't be. It doesn't precisely scare you, but leaves you feeling off. It leaves you asking, "What in the world did I just watch?" Midsommar is a tale of grief, loss, and cults in the bright hills of Sweden. American students travel there to take part in their Midsummer festival but soon find themselves trapped in a pagan cult. If you are sensitive to suicide, gore, or have recently lost a family member, do not watch this. 


the spy who dumped me 


This movie is a unique blend of comedy and action. I didn't expect anything from it other than to be entertained. And entertained I was. I don't know what it is, but this movie is hilarious. There are some moments where I was just dying laughing. It follows two best friends who become wrapped up in an international spy war when one of them discovers her ex-boyfriend is a spy. They travel through foreign countries and have to try and evade trained agents with no experience or clue what to do. Like I said, kind of hilarious. However, the plot is all over the place. Multiple times I thought the story was over and it wasn't. I didn't particularly mind that, but it made for an odd pace. But the acting!!! So good, especially on Kate McKinnon's side. Overall, it's silly and makes for a good time. 


frozen 2


If you are an OG reader of this blog, you will know that for the first year or two my profile picture was of Elsa from Frozen. Not only am I a Disney fan, my favorite Disney movie is Frozen. I know it is overrated, but that does not stop my heart from loving it. The animation, the music, the story... I adore it all. Also, Elsa's character and her arc always touched my teenage heart in a way I couldn't explain. Anyways, due to final exams in the fall, I was unable to make it into theaters to see the sequel. I didn't know what to expect from this since Disney sequels have notoriously flopped. But I was rather impressed and pleased with this one! I think the music is almost as good as the original's and they explored new story lines that connected to its predecessor but added to the story rather than diminishing it. Granted, it is not as satisfying as the first film but I think it is a respectable follow up. 


the haunted mansion


When I was a wee child, I was obsessed with The Haunted Mansion--both the movie and the Disney ride. I recently rewatched it for the first time in years and fell in love all over again. In my opinion, this is a criminally underrated film. The story follows a family where the parents are realtors. One day, they get a call to help list and sell an old mansion set by a graveyard. However, the family soon discovers that the manor is haunted by a number of ghosts with nefarious intentions. The dad, played by Eddie Murphy (what a man, I love him), must save his wife from being turned into a ghost herself. It's gothic and spooky while also being romantic and funny. The characters are a little over-exaggerated, but in a way that enhances their roles (in my very biased opinion). 



What movies have you watched lately?




6 comments:

  1. I need to watch Hereditary. I keep putting it off because I'm not normally a horror fan. Glad you liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely incredible! I hope you enjoy it even if horror isn't usually your thing.

      Delete
  2. I used to think I didn’t like Frozen because everyone else liked it and I thought I was cool if I didn’t buy into the hype. But the truth is, it is such an awesome movie! The songs are wonderful, the storyline is powerful, and the voice actors are super talented. Glad you liked the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people say they dislike it because it is overhyped. But just because something is popular does not mean it is not good or deserving of that hype.

      Delete
  3. I haven't watch any of this movie, but I know a lot of people love Hereditary and Midsommar. I'm a scaredy cat for gore though, so I think I'll go with What Lies Beneath if I'm in the mood for horror movie :D

    I just finished Ocean's Twelve and I enjoyed it better than Ocean's Eleven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say Hereditary has less gore than Midsommar but there are definitely some gross, bloody scenes! What Lies Beneath is way better if you don't like that kind of stuff. Oh, and if you want another great horror with little to no gore, check out The Woman in Black! I need to watch Ocean's Twelve still. I am glad you liked it so much!

      Delete