Friday, November 8, 2019

Popular Books I'll Never Read


There have always been popular books or series that people go through a craze of reading. But with the modern age and today's internet and social media platforms, it becomes much easier to see which novels are the current trend. Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, even Fifty Shades of Gray have made made their way not only onto the book scene, but into even the most book-hating people's shelves. These books tend to rise and fall in popularity over the years like any trend. Some of them catch my fancy and I end up picking them up. However, there are some popular books that I just know I will never read. 

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han


Listen, I know that this is everyone and their mother's favorite book series right now and for the past few years, but I am just not sold on it. I even attempted to read it a few years back but I couldn't make it more than a few pages in. Romance is just not my genre of choice and no matter how popular the book, I can't ever seem to get into it. I also think that I picked this YA book up at a time when I was starting to move out of that category and into reading mostly adult books, so it didn't fit into my perspective anymore. As much as I believe that YA does not automatically mean a lesser quality or maturity to the writing and plot, I found the writing of this particular YA novel to be just that. However, I thought the Netflix adaptation was cute and decent light entertainment.


Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov


Lolita is a well known classic yet controversial novel. Now, I usually tend to enjoy a bit of controversy in my books, but reading about pedophilia just isn't my cup of tea. If you don't know, Lolita is a classic and infamous story following a man who falls in love with a twelve year old girl named (you guessed it) Lolita. This adult man's obsession goes so far that he ends up marrying Lolita's mother just to be close to her child. Listen, I can admit that this may be a beautifully written piece of art focusing on a delusional man. But as much as I am open to uncomfortable topics or discussions in art, I am not interested in reading about an inappropriate infatuation that is downright disgusting and highly illegal.



After by Anna Todd


Earlier this year, Hollywood released a film adaptation of the notorious One Direction fan fiction sensation, After. This story was originally published by a young woman on the popular website Wattpad and was later formally published. I just can't with this one, guys. I have nothing against Wattpad or fan fiction in general, but it is not something that I enjoy. However, my real issue with After is not really its origins. If you have heard anything about this book and/or film, I am sure you have heard the concerns about the problematic nature of the "romantic" relationship that is the main focus of the plot. The relationship is certainly manipulative and arguably abusive. As much as I am not a fan of romance books in general, I am even less a fan of "romance" that tells young readers that this harmful depiction of love is normal and desirable. Also, poor Harry Styles for having to deal with being the unwilling inspiration for the abusive male romantic lead.


Again, But Better by Christine Riccio



As much as I enjoy Christine's booktube channel and how fantastic it is that she wrote and traditionally published a novel (and documented the entire process), I just know I won't enjoy it. Again, But Better is a contemporary romance with some magical realism thrown in, which sounds like a fantastic story for those kind of readers. However, I am personally more of a fantasy, science fiction, and mystery reader, so I know that this one just isn't to my taste. Also, I have heard from many reviewers that there is an excessive amount of pop culture references, which may be fun for some but is not something I enjoy because it takes me out of the story. I do want to take a moment to appreciate this gorgeous cover, though. 



Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi


Earlier this year, Children of Blood and Bone took the internet by storm. Everywhere I turned there were videos, reviews, and photos of this book. And this book seems right up my alley--fantasy, magic, and bad-ass characters. But from all the reviews I have seen, I just know that this will ultimately disappoint me. I can appreciate the fact that Children of Blood and Bone is a fantastic example of representation and much-needed diversity in YA. But the apparent insta-love, slow pacing, and generic fantasy qualities have really turned me off to this book. I don't have a lot of time to read with my university work, so I want to dedicate that time to unique, well-written and plotted novels, not ones that have a story I have read a million times over, just in new packaging. 


Outlander by Diana Gabaldon


I am actually very intrigued by this one's plot premise. Indeed, I even love the TV show. For those of you who don't know, Outlander is a time-traveling adventure following a woman from the 1940's who is visiting Scotland when she is suddenly transported back in time to the middle of the Jacobite revolution. It has everything I love: time travel, a Scottish highland setting, and a little hint of magic. I would even put up with a heavy dose of nauseating romance for that kind of story. But what I won't put up with is an abusive story featuring cheating and an abundance of disturbing rape scenes. Let me be clear: Claire, the protagonist and accidental time traveler, is married and still has a whirlwind romance with the male main character back in the 1700's. In what world is cheating considered romantic? Or sexual assault? I get it, the past is a dangerous place for women even more so than today, but that doesn't mean you have to include rape threats in every other scene. So many reviews mention these uncomfortable and frankly triggering scenes that I could never bring myself to actually read it.


The Giver by Lois Lowry


Despite having always been an avid reader, I never picked up everyone's childhood favorite, The Giver. And at this point in my life, I have no plans to ever do so. I think I just missed out on the age and time when I would have most appreciated the story. Back in the early 2010's when The Hunger Games and dystopian books were all the rage, I read about a million books in the genre. Years later, I don't regret my love for dystopia or reading some admittedly cringey publications. But I am sick and tired of the genre. I think the market was oversaturated at the time and now has completely fizzled out, along with my interest in them. Maybe one day my love for dystopia will make a resurgence, but for the foreseeable future, I don't plan on reading any more novels of that sort. I think I just read one too many of the same cookie-cutter dystopian worlds and became tired with them.  



What popular books are you not interested in reading?


8 comments:

  1. While TATBILB is one of my favourite YA contemporaries, I can totally get how it is not everyone’s cup of tea. It is extremely traditional YA, which means the main character can get quite immature. But it’s light and fluffy for me and I can always go back to it when I’m feeling anxious!

    Yeah, don’t ever read Children of Blood and Bone lol. Slow paced would definitely be the word I would use to describe it!

    I also have no desire to read Lolita. The subject matter would be way too uncomfortable for me. Even the cover, with the model just seems very chilling. I prefer lighter material!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I see why it is a fan favorite but I suppose that I am just not very into YA anymore! And I am glad to hear that I'm right not to read Children of Blood and Bone. I don't understand how it got to be so popular when I have heard such negative things about it. As for Lolita, uncomfortable is the perfect way to describe it.

      Delete
  2. TATBILB and me also had a rough start, but it ended up grew on me. It's not something I would reread, but it's a light read that do make me happy ahaha. I did give Outlander a try and while I also liked it, I won't continue because it was just so time consuming. I won't give the rest of the books from your list a try for the exact same reason as you, especially for After.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm just not too into light, fluffy YA books and TATBILB just isn't for me. But I am glad you enjoyed it! And yeah, the Outlander books are HUGE. It would take me ages and ages to finish one of them, especially while I'm in school.

      Delete
  3. I watched After on netflix but have yet to read the book... dont know if I ever will? Abusive toxic relationships sometimes are just too much especially if there portrayed romantically?? like what? Where are all my soft boys stories I need and love?? Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it, too, just to make fun of it. It was very cheesy and definitely doesn't make me want to read the book. Abusive relationships are NOT cute and I definitely agree that we need more soft boys!

      Delete
  4. It's great you never read Lolita because I read half of it almost two years and I still feel gross and dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that but it definitely validates my aversion to it. I don't quite understand why it is so well-regarded considering the disturbing content.

      Delete