Friday, October 11, 2019

Review: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng


I almost exclusively read fantasy books nowadays. Fantasy is my favorite genre and between school and work, I don't have much time to read so I naturally tend to only read my favorites. But occasionally I feel like picking up something a bit different and nothing it more out-there for me than a contemporary novel. However, Little Fires Everywhere surprised me in the best way and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. 

the story 

The plot of Little Fires Everywhere is difficult to describe. It follows to families, the wealthy and picture-perfect Richardson clan and the mother-daughter duo of Mia and Pearl, who are renting a house from the Richardson's in Shaker Heights, Ohio. Mia is an artist and has moved her small family around the country in search of inspiration. The Richardson family could not be more different from the pair and these differences come into focus as Pearl is drawn into the Richardson's world and the youngest Richardson daughter, Izzy, is fixated on Mia. 

The novel opens with the ending: a fire burning down the Richardson house and a distinct hint that Izzy was the culprit. The story then wraps you up in all the threads leading to the dramatic ending, exploring the weight of lies, the hardships of life and love, and the meaning of motherhood. I was fully immersed in this story and the setting, so much so that I didn't want to put the book down. 



the characters

Above all, the characters shined. I rarely read such vibrant, realistic characters as these. I felt like I could meet each one of them walking down the street as if they were actual living, breathing people who could wander into my life just as I wandered into their fictional ones. You may not always agree with all of their actions or emotions, but you understand them. They make real decisions, some of which end in disaster and some of which lead to great success. I especially enjoyed the characters of Mrs. Richardson and Mia, who are so often at odds but both offer up legitimate and impactful narratives. I will say though that the writing clearly pointed favor towards Mia and I wish that I had been allowed to choose which one to agree with rather than being told who was in the right. 

the gist 

Little Fires Everywhere was rich and evocative storytelling. Like I said before, I am not typically one for contemporary books but I do appreciate a good mystery or conflict. Celeste Ng crafts a compelling story with versatile characters. She weaves the different plot-lines and perspectives together seamlessly. I also enjoyed the detailed exploration of art and identity. Celeste Ng possesses a great writing ability and I for one cannot wait to see what she does next. 


rating



Publication Date: September 12, 2017
Publisher: Penguin Press

Pages: 338
Genre: Fiction
Synopsis: In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is meticulously planned – from the layout of the winding roads, to the colours of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules. Enter Mia Warren – an enigmatic artist and single mother – who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenage daughter Pearl, and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than just tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the alluring mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past, and a disregard for the rules that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community. When the Richardsons' friends attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town and puts Mia and Mrs. Richardson on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Mrs. Richardson becomes determined to uncover the secrets in Mia's past. But her obsession will come at unexpected and devastating costs to her own family – and Mia's.



Have you read Little Fires Everywhere? What did you think?


10 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book. I found the characters to be so fascinating, and the plot completely shocking. Glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an expected delight for me. The characters are so real and I LOVED the plot. I'm so happy you liked it!

      Delete
  2. I've almost bought this book a couple of times- I think I need to pick it up for sure. I don't read contemporary often either, but I've seen so many rave reviews for this that I feel like I'm missing out, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely loved it and it isn't even my usual type of read. You should totally pick it up because it's worth the read.

      Delete
  3. Fantasy has become my favorite genre over the years as well! These days (when I have a moment to read) I want to lose myself in other worlds. Romance is probably my second favorite, but most days I want to avoid heavy emotional stuff. I haven't heard of this one, and I'm tempted to see if my library has a copy!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is by far the best genre (in my opinion). I love all of the magic and otherwordly aspects that do transport you somewhere entirely different. But Little Fires Everywhere is so good and definitely worth a read.

      Delete
    2. Noted! Have you read the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews? What about Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong? Both are fantastic!

      Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

      Delete
    3. I haven't read either of those! I will have to look into them. Thanks for the recommendations!

      Delete
  4. This book surprised me because I didn't expect to love it as much as I did too! I love how complex the characters are and how it explores mother-daughter relationship in this book.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! I didn't expect the depth of writing or character development. It is such a fantastic story and I will definitely be checking out Celeste Ng's other books.

      Delete