Sunday, December 30, 2018

The Best Books of 2018


Outside of my literature class this semester, I didn't manage to read as much as I would have liked this year. But then I remind myself that there are people who can't read any books at all in a year (the horror), and I feel a little better. 2018 was a big year for me. I graduated high school, moved out, and started college. However, I was able to sneak in some reading in between all of this (and all of the essays I wrote), and the books I read this year were almost entirely spectacular. 

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden


Welcome to my absolute favorite book of 2018. Usually when people ask me what was the best book I read recently, I scoff a little, because how could I ever choose? But this year, there will be no scoffing, because The Bear and the Nightingale, plus its sequel The Girl in the Tower, absolutely stole by cold dead heart. Old magic plus medieval Russia plus fairy tales? Yes, please. This is exactly what I look for in fantasy, the ethereal atmosphere, some sword fighting, gorgeous writing, and strong characters. The third and final book, The Winter of the Witch, comes out January ninth, and you can bet that I will be there waiting in Barnes & Noble that morning. I don't remember the last time I was so ecstatic for a new release. If you love fantasy, magic, Russia, or all of the above...this series is perfect for you.  

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


Guess who finally got around to reading this beauty??? I've heard some bookworms saying that Six of Crows ended up being a disappointment to them because of the ridiculous amount of hype surrounding this novel. That is an experience I did not have. Six of Crows was anything but a disappointment--it was more of a pleasant surprise. For someone who didn't particularly enjoy the Grisha series and only made it through the first book, I was skeptical of this one. But Leigh Bardugo impressed me. I love the scheming, the heists, and of course, the characters. If you haven't yet, give it a chance. It's a clever and vibrant story filled with characters that you will fall in love with. 



Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero


The second I spotted this in the bookstore, I knew I would love it. Meddling Kids is a horror, sci-fi, Scooby-Doo adventure fit with the dog sidekick and everything. If you enjoyed ItBuffy the Vampire Slayer, or any eighties science fiction, you'll have a ball with this book. The Blyton Summer Detective Club reunites to get down to the bottom of the events that happened during a case they investigated as teens in Oregon. Some of the group haven't fared too well in the following years--one's been to prison, one's in a mental institution, and one is dead. There's a haunted house, spell books, and monsters that rise up from the lake. I especially enjoyed the way Edgar Cantero manipulates language and toys with language structure. His writing is so skillful that I'm shocked that his first language isn't English. 

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley


The Rose Garden was my biggest surprise this year. At first glance, this book appears nothing like the stuff I usually enjoy--magic, ghosts, aliens, etc. I picked it up to read during my finals time as something that would be light and enjoyable, but not distracting. Well, I was proven wrong when I became very distracted. I couldn't put this done. Our protagonist, Eva, returns to Cornwall to scatter her dead sister's ashes and soon begins to slip back in time to the early 1700s during the Jacobite rebellion. It's a whimsical tale with pirates, ley lines, and some timey-wimey mishaps. I usually hate romance, but this book manages to strike the balance between the relationship and the plot perfectly. I'll definitely be checking out other novels by Susanna Kearsley in the coming year.


The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson


Considering that The Final Empire was on my best of 2017 list, it should come as no surprise that its sequel is one of my 2018 favorites. Brandon Sanderson does fantasy like no other, and the suspense, new characters, and new secrets uncovered in The Well of Ascension makes me love this series even more. I don't even know where to start with this one. The magic system, society, and politics of this fantasy world are still some of my favorite things. I also really adored the new characters, even the evil and/or psychotic ones. Given how spectacular the endings to the first two books in the series have been, I'm sure that the last book is going to be explosive. I'll get around to reading it soon (hopefully), when I feel more emotionally prepared. 


What are your favorite books of 2018?



16 comments:

  1. Glad you finally got around to reading Six of Crows! It is an awesome series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best! I don't know what took me so long. Inej is my favorite.

      Delete
  2. Ahh I'm glad Six of Crows lived up to expectations!! *flails* And it is hard to balance reading with everything else too, so I think you've done marvellously.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED it!!! Now to read Crooked Kingdom. And aww, thanks Cait! I do my best.

      Delete
  3. I really want to read Six of Crows and The Bear and the Nightingale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both incredible and totally worth reading!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, The Rose Garden sounds very intriguing! It kind of gives me House on the Strand vibes. I may have to check it out! My favorite books this year were definitely The Secret History by Donna Tartt, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, and Autoboyography by Christina Lauren.

    How's William & Mary been going??

    Eleanor | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun surprise! And the author has a few other books I am so excited to read now. I really want to read The Secret History! And as for W&M, it's been so intense and so fun. My first semester just flew by!

      Delete
  5. The only book I've read on this list is Six of Crows, and I completely agree with you. I didn't enjoy the Grisha series much but I found the characters in SoC a lot more interesting. Meddling Kids and The Bear and the Nightingale look so good. I'll have to check them out this year! I hope you had a wonderful new year's day.

    claire @ clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you excited for the Six of Crows/Grisha show? I am a little nervous I'll have to read the rest of the Grisha trilogy in order to understand it, but I can't wait. And you should definitely pick up those books! Happy 2019, Claire!

      Delete
  6. I realllyy need to read The Bear and the Nightingale, I just know I'll love it. Also YESSS for Six of Crows. The SoC gang are so wonderful. Someone made an interesting point the other day in twitter that it would be even more interesting if they were in their twenties and now I can't stop thinking about that! What do you think? :)

    Megan @ http://www.booksbirds.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely read it! The entire series is amazing. I am also SO excited for the SoC/Grisha show. And I definitely think it would be more interesting if they were in their twenties.

      Delete
  7. Welcome back Erin! I lovee the Winternight Trilogy, it's been a while since I'm this excited for a book too! And I love Susanna Kearsley's books, I really should read more of her works.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasya! The Winternight trilogy is one of my all time favorite series now for sure. And yay! I'm so happy to find someone else who loves Susanna Kearsley. Which book of hers should I read next?

      Delete
  8. I should read Six of Crows soon. I've been meaning to for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does live up to the hype! I avoided it for a while because I didn't think it could possibly be that good, but it is!

      Delete