Friday, August 21, 2015

Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton

Publication Date:  May 26, 2015  
Publisher:  HarperTeen  
Series:  Tiny Pretty Things #1  
Pages:  448  
Genre:  Contemporary  
Synopsis:  Gigi, Bette, and June, three top students at an exclusive Manhattan ballet school, have seen their fair share of drama. Free-spirited new girl Gigi just wants to dance—but the very act might kill her. Privileged New Yorker Bette's desire to escape the shadow of her ballet star sister brings out a dangerous edge in her. And perfectionist June needs to land a lead role this year or her controlling mother will put an end to her dancing dreams forever. When every dancer is both friend and foe, the girls will sacrifice, manipulate, and backstab to be the best of the best.  

Review:  This book has got to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever read in my life.  That's my fault, though, for reading a drama.  I did choose it for the ballet aspect, though, and all my wishes were fulfilled in that department.

The moment you think you're on top is the moment you've lost your passion.

I was quite impressed with Tiny Pretty Things quality of writing. It flows seamlessly, which is impressive considering that the different authors wrote the book together.  It is dark at times and always cutthroat. There is a constant stream of desperation and animosity, all the girls and boys vying for the same thing. My only serious issue with it is that there never seems to be a pause in the backstabbing, the revenge and ulterior motives.  It would balance better if it wasn't just chapter after chapter of viciousness.

The authors clearly researched ballet a lot, and I was content with the descriptions of the dancing and technique.  However, I feel as if the drama is taken to such heights that is misrepresents that world. Dancers can't starve themselves and then have the strength to do what they do, and drugs are certainly not that accepted.  There's competition, sure, but not necessarily to the extent of putting glass in someone's shoes, for example.

 The Sugar Plum Fairy has the farthest to fall.   

The cast of characters is diverse in more ways than one.  June is half Korean, Gigi is black, and Bette is the spitting image of a perfect jewelry box dancer.  All have distinct personalities and backgrounds, and none of them are free from their own worries.

Bette, my personal favorite, is the Queen Bee of the ballet school. At least, until Gigi comes in and steals the spotlight.  Things have never been easy for Bette, no matter how put together she seems. With a wreck of a mother and the pressure of a prima ballerina sister, she's just desperate enough to do anything to get what she wants.  She isn't always nice--in most cases, she isn't.  But life never gives her a break, and I spent the entire book hoping she would get everything she wanted and more.

June works unbelievably hard--yet she never gets any recognition.  I just wanted her to be noticed, instead of being cast as the understudy every time. She deserves it more than any of the others. Her mother keeps threatening to pull her out if her grades aren't improved and there is always the danger that the nurse will notice June's eating disorder.  She floats around like a ghost and just needs a chance.  She craves attention, because every aspect of her life seems to be lacking that.

Being onstage makes it all worth it.

Gigi is the sweet, passionate, and generous new girl from California.  She is intended to be the most likable, so it's odd that I ended up liking her the least.  She's too nice, too kind.  Sometimes she seems more like a cardboard cutout than a flesh and blood human being.  There is zero character development and a shallow pool of depth.  I wanted to like her, but it never felt like she deserved what she was given. Things were taken away from others and served up on a silver platter for her, regardless of her health problems or if she earned it or not. 

The mysteries and manipulations are certainly intense in Tiny Pretty Things, and although tiring, they spin a great story.  I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel and wondering what in the world will happen next.  Could it get any worse?  (Yes, probably).

3.5 Keys



     

10 comments:

  1. Wow! The drama in this book sounds so intense! I get what you mean when you say a bit of a break from all the backstabbing would have been welcome. Although, I actually kinda want to read this book now just for that because sometimes I find never ending drama entertaining! Also, I am not ashamed to say that I am a big fan of The Next Step and will not settle until I can watch Season 3. I love dance related things but it's usually safer if I'm not the one dancing... :-D Really great review! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on an almost soap opera level, I swear! But sometimes I do like the drama, I admit. I really liked it--especially the writing. Ooh I love dancing shows/movies/books--everything. They're such fun! This one actually reminded me a little of Pretty Little Liars--the show and the books. All highly dramatic. I'm just glad my life isn't really like this...

      Delete
  2. Woah, putting glass in their shoes? That makes me glad I quit ballet when I was seven (my dancing is akin to Bambi walking on ice :P). This is a really great review, Erin. I know what you mean about characters being too perfect--I always end up liking the ones that I probably shouldn't just because they feel more real, you know? This book sounds really interesting so I might have to check it out sometime (yet another book to add to my TBR pile...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the characters take things to all new levels. But that kind of stuff doesn't ever happen in real life, which is why I feel as if the book is sort of misrepresenting the ballet world. And Emma, at least Bambi is cute, right? Exactly! If characters seem more like standard cardboard cutouts than people I immediately dislike them. It is a fun, exciting book and I hope you like it! Thanks for commenting, Emma! :D

      Delete
  3. I kiiind of want to read this because BALLET (so cool) and also DIVERSITY (I love it) but the drama and backstabbing kind of worry me, because I usually get soooo tired of books that do that. BUT STILL. I feel like it's one I'm going to be eternally curious about unless I try it. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ballet is more than half the reason I read it, honestly. And it is pretty accurate, technically. The drama worried me too, and I couldn't read too many books like this, but I do think this one is worth it! It is extremely entertaining. DO IT.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love the sound of this. I'm a huge fan for all things artistic and ballet is one of those things. It's just so beautiful and mesmerizing to watch; and I'm really curious to see how the authors transfer that onto the page. The only thing that worries me is the backstabbing and the unnecessary drama, but hopefully I can ignore that since I know it's coming. ;) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books where an art is spotlighted, such as ballet or any type of dance. It is fun to watch and do! The authors do a wonderful job at describing dancing, even if the over-dramatics of it are heightened for the WOW factor. The drama can be tiring, but it is certainly interesting! Thanks so much, Zoe! :D

      Delete
  5. Desperation and animosity sounds thrilling, ballet seems all pretty and fluffy but is such a gruelling art. I didn't know this would be a series but I'm intrigued, I love drama so much haha. Great review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS thrilling. Being a dancer myself, although only for fun and not seriously, I hate when people say it is easy--it really isn't! I went in thinking it was a stand alone, but was happily surprised to see it was a series. Thanks for commenting, Ju!

      Delete