Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Cinderella Book Tag!



Cinderella was my favorite Disney movie as a child.  I think it was because of the dress, and the magic, and the talking animals.  But mostly the dress.  So imagine my excitement when Claire at Cover to Cover tagged me to do a book tag based on Cinderella (thanks Claire)!  



Evil Stepsisters
A book with characters you hate



If you read my review, you'll know how much I disliked all of the characters in this book.  They are well crafted characters, but utterly loathsome people.  To be perfectly honest, my reaction was the desire to go all Hitler-esque and burn the book.  Not that I would ever do that.  I'm not a monster, you know.

Prince Charming
A book with a gentleman



Wesley Ayers from The Archived is perfectly gentlemanly.  Seriously, hands down, one of the best male characters ever written.  He's not the typical jerk love interest that so many YA books like to have nowadays.  Not only is he wonderful, but so is the book, so read it.  As rightful Queen and Overlord, I command you all to bow down to this book.

Cinderella
A character that is kind, grateful, and defiant



I don't think I have mentioned this book on here before, and I don't know why.  It is beautiful and profound.  Liesel Meminger, an orphan during World War II, is living in Germany with foster parents at the time.  Like the title suggests, she does end up stealing books, often in defiance of the book burnings imposed by Hitler (again with Hitler burning books.  I guess that is the theme for this tag).  She is also kind to everyone, even the Jewish people she is supposed to hate.

Fairy Godmother
A character that always has someone looking out for them

 


Percy, Annabeth, and Grover all look after each other.  They are all each others' fairy godmothers!  Ever since that first quest to find Zeus' lightning bolt, they have stuck together through thick and thin.  Can I mention how they went on that first quest at twelve years old.  What did I accomplish at twelve?  Not a dangerous Greek quest, that's for sure.

Helpful Creature
Something that makes you happy when you're sad


Let's see...BOOKS.  Books make me happy.  No, more than that--books make me ecstatic, elated, overjoyed!  Nothing is better than a good book.  Then again, books are also make me sad a lot of the time...  So I guess I'm happy to feel sad?



Pumpkin
A character that went through a transformation



I cannot think of anyone who went through a transformation as radical as a pumpkin turning into a carriage more than Juliette.  She goes from a girl who would shatter (haha, book pun) at a glance to a girl whose bones were made of steel.  But the change didn't run out at midnight.  No, her character development just went on and on and on.

Ashes
A book you didn't care for



Are you shocked?  Everyone adores this Cinderella retelling...everyone, that is, except for me.  The world, plot, and writing is all missing something (a shoe, perhaps...okay, I'm done, promise).  It honestly feels as if I read an entirely different book than the one people rave about.  I just don't see the magic.

Impossible
A book with an ending you didn't see coming



This cliffhanger may possibly be the worst cliffhanger ever, in such a brilliant way.  It simultaneously causes you want to make Rick Riordan to feel your wrath and cry because it is so well done.  A slow clap for Rick Riordan.



Just Breathe
Something that inspires you to be courageous



I have never once read a book where bravery is such a prominent theme and where it affects not only the protagonist, but the reader, as well.  Tris is as brave as you can get.  She never gives up, never stops fighting for what she believes in, no matter how frightened she may be.  It's no secret that Tris remains one of my favorite characters of all time, but she is also an inspiration.

Happily Ever After
A book with a perfect ending



I don't think anyone could fathom how difficult this was for me.  There are a lot of endings I am head over heels for, but not many that can be considered a "happily ever after."  News flash:  I like sad endings.  Morbid, huh?  I had to physically restrain myself from putting Allegiant by Veronica Roth, because that is about as tragic as you can get.  In the Afterlight isn't idyllic, but it does have an ending that leaves you hopeful, at least.  Bonus points:  the entire trilogy is spectacular.

I tag:

Cait @ Paper Fury

2 comments:

  1. Totally not shocked you didn't like Cinder. Haha. I mean, I liked the story very much, but I get it that the book wasn't for you! :) I loved The Book Thief so much and I really admire Liesel Meminger!! Plus she likes books, and she and I could be friends and maybe fangirl on fictional characters, HAHA. Great tag!!!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The odd thing is, is I liked the story well enough, just not the execution! Oh well, some books just don't cut it, I suppose. The Book Thief is soooo great, isn't it? I especially love how it is narrated by Death. :D

      Delete