Friday, April 3, 2020

The Queen of Nothing: A Disappointing End to a Good Series


Last year I broke down and read Holly Black's extremely popular series, The Cruel Prince and its sequel. I found them to be very fun reads and highly enjoyable, but not perfect. Nevertheless, I had high hopes for the final installment in the trilogy, The Queen of Nothing. But I was ultimately disappointed with this book. I listened to the audiobook version since I am now in Edinburgh and spend a lot of time walking around or on the bus. The audiobook was definitely very nice and I recommend it for those who prefer that format. But the content within was lackluster. Also, this is a spoiler-free review!

what I liked

As with the other books in the series, I really liked the world and setting. If you haven't read the books, The Cruel Prince follows a mortal girl named Jude who was kidnapped by her parents murderer and raised by him in fairy-world. There are battles, spying, and a hate-to-love romance. The whimsy and cutthroat quality of fairy society is enticing and pulls you in, keeping you turning the pages for hours on end. The addicting quality of the fast-paced plot continues throughout the entire trilogy. 

As with the other books, I appreciated some of the characters (namely Jude and Cardan) while absolutely despising others (Locke and Taryn). Jude can be cruel and oftentimes desperate, but she has a strong heart. Cardan is manipulative and arrogant, but is secretly kind of a softie. The complex relationships add a layer of intrigue and angst to the series that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Characters you love will betray someone in a heartbeat and you watch Jude struggling with her feelings regarding her murderer father and her former enemy, Cardan. No one can be trusted. 



what I disliked 

Honestly, The Queen of Nothing just isn't as gripping or immersive as the first two books. The plot is rather predictable and I was never shocked at any plot "twist" or even that worried about the fate of my favorite characters. Holly Black is a decent writer and I generally enjoy her prose and worlds, but this installment has a lazy plot. If you have ever read a single fantasy novel or fairy tale, you know what happens. While The Queen of Nothing is enjoyable like its predecessors, it doesn't achieve the same level of writing. 

A lot of readers love this series due to the two main characters, Jude and Cardan, along with their tumultuous relationship. But Cardan takes a backseat role in this novel and hardly appears, making cameos in a handful of scenes. If you read these books mainly for their relationship, you will be sorely disappointed. Furthermore, the ending is not only predictable, but lackluster. The series wraps up too quickly, with a single battle in a few pages that is anything but high-stakes. Every plot move is too easy and fails to convey a sense of tension or desperation. The character development doesn't fully take shape, leaving things feeling rushed and undone. Holly Black developed her characters and her series until the last few steps and then seemingly gave up and took the simple way out. 

Small Spoiler: I disliked how Jude, who has always been represented as a cutthroat, chose senseless and undeserved mercy at the last second. This act, along with Cardan's sudden transformation into a sweet puppy-dog, is entirely unbelievable.



Publication Date: November 19th, 2019
Publisher: Little, Brown
Pages: 300
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: Power is much easier to acquire than it is to hold onto. Jude learned this lesson when she released her control over the wicked king, Cardan, in exchange for immeasurable power.

Now as the exiled mortal Queen of Faerie, Jude is powerless and left reeling from Cardan’s betrayal. She bides her time determined to reclaim everything he took from her. Opportunity arrives in the form of her deceptive twin sister, Taryn, whose mortal life is in peril.

Jude must risk venturing back into the treacherous Faerie Court, and confront her lingering feelings for Cardan, if she wishes to save her sister. But Elfhame is not as she left it. War is brewing. As Jude slips deep within enemy lines she becomes ensnared in the conflict’s bloody politics.

And, when a dormant yet powerful curse is unleashed, panic spreads throughout the land, forcing her to choose between her ambition and her humanity…



Were you disappointed in the ending?



5 comments:

  1. So sorry that this was disappointing for you! It sucks when the last book in a series doesn't meet the excitement of the first. I haven't actually read any Holly Black books myself yet, but I've seen a lot of praise for this series and was considering starting it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's alright! I still enjoyed it to some extent. The only other Holly Black book I have read was The Darkest Part of the Forest. I read that years ago but I remember really liking it. I think that one is better than this series, although I still enjoyed reading this one and think it it worth a shot.

      Delete
  2. I feel exactly the same. This was such a disappointing ending to a story that was, for the most part, incredibly enjoyable. While I agree that the story was rushed and incongruous to the series as a whole, I somewhat enjoyed seeing a different side to other characters, even if it was out of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy the character difference in a way, but I guess I which that change had been more gradual. It was so sudden and unrealistic.

      Delete
  3. Great review!! I felt the same when I read this one! I loved the first half, the first half was the cutthroatness I remembered but the plot twist in the second half (w the ahem snake...) ya that just didn’t do anything for me and personally the ending was a bit soft compared to the other two book and I wish this one had more clever twists. Overall I enjoyed the series... but wish I liked this one better ://

    ReplyDelete