Friday, August 2, 2019

Books I Want to Reread


When I was a kid, I would reread my favorite books religiously. I can't count how many times I read Harry Potter or the Magic Treehouse books. But as I got older, I stopped rereading. It wasn't intentional, yet I found myself having read only new-to-me books for years. This was not so surprising considering that I had been reading less books in general due to schoolwork and life in general. I wanted to ingest stories I had never experienced before with my limited time, not books where I knew every twist and turn. But I miss rereading books. Returning to a beloved story or world is like visiting an old friend. So here are some books/series that I would like to revisit.

Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan

I don't think I have ever met a person who dislikes the original Percy Jackson series. I first read it as a tiny, book-loving nine year old and I read it in the completely wrong order. But that didn't hinder my love for this series at all. I even remember dressing up as Annabeth Chase in elementary school for a book-character day. It has been nearly a decade since I first picked this series up and I have been dying to read it again. If you don't know by now, the Percy Jackson series is a Greek mythology inspired series revolving around a demigod named Percy, who is the son of Poseidon. Being a demigod is no easy life, so they are trained every year at a summer camp called Camp Half-Blood. There, Percy meets new friends and enemies and finds himself wrapped up in magical quests. 


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I am one of the many people who read The Night Circus a few years ago and loved the atmosphere and writing. If I remember correctly, I gave this book a five star rating (which I rarely do). This magical, slow-building story filled with a traveling circus open only at night and an age-old war between magicians is one I have wanted to reread for a while now. I am also *extremely* excited that Erin Morgenstern is finally releasing another book called The Starless Sea. If the success of her previous novel is any indication, then her new release is going to be fantastic. I should really pick up The Night Circus before The Starless Sea comes out, but that probably won't happen (unfortunately).



The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen


This is one of those cases where I read the first book in this series five or so years ago and never ended up picking up the rest of the books for whatever reason. Now, years later, I still want to finish this book series because I thought The Queen of the Tearling had a lot of potential, but I remember next to nothing about the plot or the characters. So in order to finish this fantasy series, I need to reread the first installment. From what I do remember, this book deals with a lost queen and her attempts to return to power in a lost and damaged country that has long been oppressed and at war. The lost royal in question is named Kelsea and is in possession of an enchanted pendant with mysterious powers. I recall enjoying the main character and the world she lived in, so I won't mind revisiting this story.


A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle


A Wrinkle in Time is a science fiction classic. I read this book in my seventh grade English class and loved it so much. Even today it can be difficult to find a sci-fi novel written by a woman, featuring a female main character, and that is just incredible besides that. In case you were wondering, I was sorely disappointed by the 2018 movie which explained nothing and added a lot of fluff that ultimately distracted from the original narrative. But that poorly executed film does not diminish my feelings of love and nostalgia for this book. Meg, the protagonist, is an intelligent, daring girl who ventures to the farthest reaches of the universe and of reality in order to find her missing father. Basically, this is the ultimate sci-fi adventure.



Vicious by V.E. Schwab


Can I be one of those annoying people for a moment and say that I read V.E. Schwab books before they were popular? Okay, in all seriousness, Vicious might be my favorite novel by her and that is pretty impressive when you consider how prolific she has been in the past few years and how great her books have all been. For the longest time, Vicious was my favorite stand-alone novel. But now, there's a sequel called Vengeful that is collecting dust on my shelf waiting for me to read it. However, I really need to reread Vicious before picking up the sequel. I don't mind at all considering how fun this book is to read. The story centers on Victor Vale, who is neither a villain nor a hero. Victor has recently escaped from prison and is chasing his old college buddy, Eli. But Victor is no normal person and possesses abilities that are not altogether natural. This book is dark and twisted but also so addicting. 



Are there any books you want to reread?


8 comments:

  1. The Percy Jackson series is always a go-to reread for me! It’s so easy to get through and really helps to get out of slumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such a fun series to read and I love how funny it is. It's been far too long since I last read it.

      Delete
  2. I plan to do a reread of The Infernal Devices this year. This series will always have a special place in my heart and yet I've never reread it!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should reread TID, too! I love that series and I have never reread it, either. I did make my boyfriend read it recently and had fun rereading some chapters, though.

      Delete
  3. I just recently got into rereading books too! I used to reread books all the time as a kid. I usually reread Harry Potter every year around Christmas. I definitely need to reread the Percy Jackson series and The Night Circus because those books were my favs in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't even count the amount of times I reread the Harry Potter series as a kid. Rereading books is so much fun and it is really about time I start revisiting some. It can be hard with all of the new releases, though. Happy rereading!

      Delete
  4. Ooh great list! I have the queen of tearling on my TBR and have been dying to read it bc it looks like such a rich fantasy filled w all the things I love. Vicious is also a book I started awhile back but had to put on the back burner bc of school overwhelming me at the time. I hope I get a chance to read both of those before the end of the year! (ooh and I am also dying to reread A Court Of Mist and Fury by SJM as well of Six of Crows just bc they are some of my favs!!) Awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! From what I remember, The Queen of the Tearling is definitely very rich and complex. I really need to continue that series. And ugh, I hate when school gets in the way of reading (which it does a lot). You HAVE to read Six of Crows! It is AMAZING!

      Delete