Friday, June 28, 2019

5 Beach Reads for Summer 2019


Ah, summertime--the season meant for road trips, popsicles, and afternoons spent laying in the sun at the beach. Personally, I love to swim when I visit the ocean but my second favorite activity is cracking open a good book and reading to my heart's content. It's summer vacation, so it is a basic requirement to spend some time relaxing. Here are the five books I would recommend you take with you on your next visit to the beach.

Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Mysteries make the best beach reads because you're always hanging on the edge of your seat. Endless Night is one of my favorite Agatha Christie novels and it contains a nice blend of suspicion, mystery, murder, and romance. Michael and his new wife, an American heiress named Ellie, move into a house on an estate dubbed Gypsy's Acre. The pair ignore the superstitious townspeople who warn them about the ancient curse placed on the land and the accidents that occur there, but soon the couple's paradise begins to look more like a nightmare.


Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart

A lot of people know E. Lockhart for her other novel We Were Liars, but her thriller Genuine Fraud is much better suited for beach or vacation reading. This story is told backwards and will drive you crazy as you attempt to figure out the truth of what happened. I love a good unreliable narrator and while the story is a bit bleak, you will have a fun time picking apart the small details to unravel the past. Be warned, this is kind of a mind trip of a book. I won't tell you much, but let's just say that there is an intense friendship, a death, and a load of lies. 


Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Everyone is reading this book right now since the TV show was released, including myself. If you like that sharp, blunt British style of humor or a winding tale surrounding Armageddon, reading Good Omens is a must. I don't remember the last time I laughed so much while reading a book. There are a lot of main characters and point of view's, but the plot mostly follows the demon Crowley and the angel Aziraphale as they team up to stop the world from ending. The problem is, someone has misplaced the Antichrist. 


Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero

Meddling Kids claimed a spot as one of my favorite books in 2018. This is a book inspired by Scooby-Doo, but it presents in a more mature and horror-based way. Ghost-stories are the best to read on the beach in broad daylight if you scare easily. I love the writing style in this book--it is very unique and plays with the English language in a way I don't see anyone else doing. Over a decade before the events of the book take place, the Blyton Summer Detective Club solved their final case. They reconvene years later and one member short to finally uncover what truly happened that day (the one that landed one in prison, one in an asylum, and another dead). 


Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan


I don't typically pick up books like Crazy Rich Asians, but at the time I just wanted something different and something exciting. Kevin Kwan wrote a whirlwind of a story, one that is rife with drama and glamour. You will get caught up in the insanity of it all even if this is not your typical genre. Plus, there's a really entertaining movie to watch afterwards. This book follows the lives of three wealthy Chinese families living in Singapore. One of the heirs to the family fortune is Nick Young, who decides to finally return home for his friend's wedding with his girlfriend in tow. But Nick's crazy rich family and friends don't exactly approve of poor, lowly Rachel Chu.




What do you like to read on the beach?


12 comments:

  1. Genuine Fraud sounds so good! Definitely something right up my alley. I also loved Crazy Rich Asians. It is the perfect summer read, it was so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very different and I really enjoyed it! Crazy Rich Asians was so fun. I didn't really expect to like it, but it was so enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. YESSS OKAY I LOVE GOOD OMENS. Now THAT is my kind of beach read--fantastical, witty + clever, and irreverent. Genuine Fraud sounds great! If you like that, I think you'd like The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ISN'T IT AWESOME? I can't believe I took so long to finally read it. It is SO funny. I have seen so many people raving about The Secret History, but I haven't read it yet! I'm going to add it to my TBR right now.

      Delete
  3. The nearest beach is 1000+ miles away from me, but I agree that Agatha Christie books would be good beach reads. They’re fun and gripping.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a long way! I love Agatha Christie books at all times, but they are definitely great for vacation. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I really like the movie Crazy Rich Asains! I read about half of the book before it came out but it was a little too info dense for the plot line for me. However I still think the movie was pretty accurate all things considered! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the movie was awesome! And yeah, there is a LOT of information in that book (hence all the footnotes). Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed the film adaptation of Crazy Rich Asians, and seeing it definitely sparked my interest in reading the book. Meddling Kids sounds really interesting, especially being inspired by Scooby-Doo. Will have to add it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was super fun! I actually read the book just because I wanted to watch the movie. And I definitely recommend Meddling Kids! It's so underrated.

      Delete
  6. I'm currently reading Good Omens and despite enjoying the characters, I don't think the writing is for me :/ I have Meddling Kids on my TBR though, but I'm saving it for the colder days :D Oh, Crazy Rich Asians is the best! I laughed so much but also felt extremely connected to the story :)

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the writing style is definitely something you either love or hate. I personally love it, but I can see why others might not. Have you read the rest of the CRA series? I can't wait to pick them up. And you should definitely read Meddling Kids--it is so underrated.

      Delete