Friday, February 15, 2019

My Favorite Non-Romantic Books


As we all know, yesterday was Valentine's Day. I think I will always maintain that Valentine's Day is a fake holiday. Yes, I know that technically all holidays are "fake" in the sense that their creation and perpetuation are made up by the human mind, but in my opinion, Valentine's Day is one of the most fake of them all. Hallmark and candy companies conspired to sell heart-shaped chocolates and sappy cards. It's purely marketing. So, against the usual romantic tendencies that spring up around this time of year, I'm here to recommend some of my favorite books that are distinctly non-romantic. 

Vicious by V.E. Schwab


V.E. Schwab is one of my favorite authors, and although I have yet to read the sequel to Vicious, it is still my favorite book of hers. Vicious has it all--complex characters, riveting action, and morally gray themes. Oh, and did I mention the superhero abilities? Well, more like antiheroes or villains. The story of the past and the present unfold simultaneously, keeping you on the edge of your seat. I haven't read anything like it even years after first picking it up. Plus, there's a complete lack of romantic relationships; but don't worry, there's plenty of friendship and arch-nemesis relationships to satisfy you. If you like science-fiction and a captivating, intense story, then Vicious is a perfect match for you. 


And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie


It's a hard call, but I think this is my favorite Agatha Christie book. And if you know anything about her novels, you know that they're basically the best mysteries you can read. There's a large cast of characters, none of whom you trust, and a variety of relationships, but this is not a romantic book--it's a story of murder and mystery set on a remote island. And Then There Were None will give you chills and second guess every supposed clue or suspect. It truly is a masterpiece. Like Christie's other works, her skill in writing is showcased here. I won't say much since I think it is better to start this one without many hints, but essentially an assortment of seemingly unconnected strangers are invited to an island. But every one of them is hiding some secret they would rather not reveal. Essentially, deadly chaos ensues. 

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden


Welcome to one of my new all-time favorite fantasy series ever. While some slight romance develops in later novels, The Bear and the Nightingale focuses on the young and wild Vasya, who lives deep in the nature of old Russia with her family. Vasya is gifted with the ability to see the old spirits and demons, but her courageous and defiant soul accompanied with her unusual abilities put her at risk in a world where witches are burned for heresy in the face of a rising surge of Christianity. But when an ancient dark force starts to awaken in Russia, Vasya may be the only one capable of stopping it. This slow, atmospheric, and fairy-tale like story is one I will never stop loving, and I wish more than anything that I could go back and read it for the first time all over again. 

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn 


Gillian Flynn is best known for her other novel, Gone Girl. However, she has two other fantastic thrillers called Sharp Objects and Dark Places. The former does feature some romance alongside its darkness, but Dark Places is pretty much all creep and no swooning. This novel focuses on the mass murder of the Day family years before the start of the book. Libby Day, the only surviving child besides the brother who was imprisoned for their family's deaths. The characters are so raw and visceral; you may not necessarily like them all the time, but they're real and you will definitely understand them. None of Gillian Flynn's novels are for the faint of heart and they all explore some pretty harrowing themes. Dark Places is no exception. 


The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander


I will never stop talking about this series--at least until more people start talking about it with me (other than my dad). The Prydain chronicles was Harry Potter before the wizarding world was even a glimmer in J.K. Rowling's eye. Only, this series is better. Yes, I did just say another series was better than Harry Potter, and I am not taking it back. The Book of Three is the ultimate heart-warming, middle grade adventure fantasy story. You will fall in love with this series. It has heart, magic, an enchanted pig, and anything else you could wish for. If you haven't picked it up yet, you're missing out. Trust me, these books feel like home. There is a little bit of romance down the line, but it is never the focus of the story. The heart of the series is always on friendship, honor, identity, and hope. Plus, it will never fail to make you laugh. 

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


I'll take a break from recommending my favorite Neil Gaimain book (the one I often refer to as a masterpiece), The Ocean at the End of the Lane, to mention another one of Gaiman's creations. The Graveyard Book centers on a young boy named Nobody growing up in a graveyard raised by its ghostly inhabitants. If that hasn't sold you, I don't know what else will. It's beautifully written, emotionally told, and bursting with whimsy. My high school senior quote was pulled from this one. This isn't just a silly coming of age or quest tale--by the end, you'll have invested your entire heart into this little hilltop graveyard and its strange inhabitants. 


Do you have any non-romantic book favorites? Or are you a sucker for a good love story?


10 comments:

  1. I hate Valentine’s Day. I have never had a valentine and because of this the holiday just makes me feel extremely bad about myself and a bit jealous too even. So I tend to stay clear! My favourite non romantic books would have to be the Percy Jackson series. Even though Percy and Annabeth get together in the end of the series, for the duration they are mostly just friends and the friendships in series completely overpower the romantic relationships in my opinion. I always loved how those novels didn’t feel the need to just pair the two main characters together at the very beginning just to make it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such a pointless, consumer based holiday. My boyfriend and I "celebrate" it by just getting small gifts and going out to lunch or something. And I LOVE Percy Jackson!!! I've actually been thinking about rereading them lately because it was one of my favorite series as a kid. Percy and Annabeth were great together, but your'e right about the books focusing on friendship above all else and I love it!

      Delete
  2. Oh Valentine's Day is totally a fake holiday. Add much as I like romance in any capacity in my books I'm always down for a book with none. Dark Places and And Then The Were None address great picks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very much a fake holiday. But I do admit to loving the candy and flowers this time of year.

      Delete
  3. I'm SUCH a sucker for a sweet love story. I always say to myself that I'll write THIS wip without any romance, and then I start to ship a pair of characters, and then, because I'm the author and I can, I make it cannon. Books without romance are just as good, though!

    I haven't heard of the Chronicles of Prydain! I love that older, 20th century-style fantasy. What's it about?

    Some of my other favorite nonromantic books would be The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands, Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett, Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer, Legion of the Dead by Paul Stewart, and From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg.

    Eleanor | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not going to lie, sometimes I can be, too (if it's done well). And The Chronicles of Prydain follow a young boy named Taran who lives with an old sorcerer and a magical pig named Henwen. He ends up going on a quest in the first book to defeat an evil villain and he meets some great friends along the way. It's an amazing series and you follow Taran as he grows into a great man and hero. I totally recommend it! And I'll have to check out your recommendations!

      Delete
  4. It sometimes makes me happy when I read a book without romance because a lot of times a book doesn't need a romance to be a good book! The only books I've read on this list are The Graveyard Book and Vicious, and I agree that they are fantastic! I believe I own a copy of Dark Places, so I'll have to read that one sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I do enjoy a good romance as long as it doesn't overtake the plot of the book (unless it is a romance book) and contributes to character development or something, but that isn't always the case. You should definitely check out Dark Places! It really is a dark, heavy book but it's a very good thriller!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic pick Erin! I love The Bear and the Nightingale and Vicious, they are in the list of my favorite series! The Graveyard Book is also really lovely and bittersweet, I love it.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasya! And both of those are in my favorite series/books of all time list! And The Graveyard Book just makes me so happy and it's so cute!

      Delete